• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eliminate Home Screen when closing last PDF?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Acrobat DC and am used to working with individual PDFs. I've got DC setup to NOT do tabbed management of multiple open files. How do I now stop it from reverting to a "Home Screen" showing recent files when I close the last open PDF?   I think, that when I close the last open PDF, Acrobat should just go away/die.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not possible. If you want to close the application you have to do so yourself. It will not close automatically when you close the last open file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you Quit Acrobat with documents open, then both the application and the documents will close. You will be asked whether or not to save unsaved files. It works this way in most computer applications, not just Acrobat.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think 1234567890!ABC simply wants to know how to disable the "Recent" or "Home" screen (not sure what Adobe calls it?) I find it constantly in my way also. When you close an open PDF it  automatically opens (even if you have previously closed it) and blocks my view of the desktop. I have yet to use any of the "Features" of this screen. Please give us a way to disable this "Feature".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MS Windows or MacOS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming Mac OS, as that doesn't happen on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh it absolutely happens on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does the app open randomly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this screen shot will help.Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 7.53.55 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Home Screen is a real time-wasting annoyance in my studio. We already have an operating system from Apple for finding and managing files, and we all have  learned to use it. Placing an "OS-Lite" in the way of tasks we need to complete is the opposite of good UX design. We need achieve MORE WITH LESS, not the same with more. Please Adobe... read this, and the many threads on this topic... and make the universally hated Home Screen switch off-able.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that we do not need an additional OS-Lite on top of the MacOS. I especially despise the Home screen because I work in Prepress and continually have to open PDFs to edit them and then save them. I am forced to use the AdobeOS Lite to navigate to where I want to save the file. Very annoying Adobe! Give us the option to turn off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After reading these and seeing a hint about where to look in that long list of Preferences, I found it.

Look for General in the top group. It has a checkbox for 

Show Home Screen when all documents are closed.

It worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, however, this does not work for me. I have this preference checked "off" but the screen still reappears. See screenshotScreen Shot 2020-04-06 at 7.58.10 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also in PrePress. This worked for me. GREAT 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, thanks so much, that has been an annoyance for years. I hated it and such a time waster because you had to quit Reader DC several timea a day.  

Thank You Thank You Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's super annoying... I can't get rid of it either!!! I would love to... it's rubbish and I never use it! Adobe? Are you listenting?!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrible. Please disable this like you can on all other CC software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate this feature with a white hot passion. As others have noticed (and others have disagreed with), checking the "hide home screen" option does not hide the home screen at all. Never. This is constantly in my way, and is one of the worst "updates" I've ever seen. At this point, it's clear Adobe won't respond to the many requests to get rid of this (and what's with that ineffective checkbox?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions - I'm staggered by there's no obvoius help or reaction from something so obvoiusly frustating. I'M MOVING TO FIGMA from now on. Stcik that in your pipes Adobe - you didn;t learn QUARKS lesson did you? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me - any ideas? I still get the anoying home screen application window blocking everythign else from view - is like someone deliberatly getting infront of you view while you're trying to watch tv - seroiusly frustrating why it's default!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac user, same problem here in Acrobat DC. Unchecking "Show home screen when all documents are closed" has no impact. It's very frustrating to have this useless home screen blocking my view of my other applications. I saw a post elsewhere where someone said they'd changed their default OS settings to use Preview to view PDFs just to avoid this feature, and I might actually end up doing that, even though I'm opening PDFs all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's such a good idea - well done Adobe pdf - shot yourself in the foot - very well done. I'm also using FIGMA as a replacement for ILLUSTRATOR. I guess this is what happens when ADOBE DOESN'T LISTEN to thier users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this question considered solved? The answer provided by KimCSM is incorrect. It is stated by several community members that that solution is invalid.

Nevertheless, I have researched it and wasted way too much of my precious time trying to fix an adobe problem once again, only to find out the best thing to do is to make the superfluous screen is small as you can and put it on the far right of your monitor, so it is barely showing.

The other thing you can do is install an older version of acrobat which I plan to do as soon as Adobe shows me where to download older versions of acrobat. There's no option for older versions of acrobat in the Creative Cloud application. That would be too convenient!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, after closing pdf start screen pops up, in setup disabled it, seems not to work at all.

WHY???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time this is posted in the Support Community they close the request with some nonsense about "Since we don't have many people asking for this feature we're going to close this request HAVE A NICE DAY" - which is a lie and a freaking gaslighting bit of but holery as there are dozens of the same request. I don't know why they're running scared from this simple request - I close a PDF and I don't want the huge, ridiculous "HOME" panel sitting there. All they need to do is give us an option to disable it. When I want to see "recent files" I use my OS built in resource. When I close a PDF I don't want a big blocking piece of the software still sitting there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines