• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded video in a PDF file won’t play in adobe reader.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I embed a MP4 video in a PDF file, it plays nicely on Adobe Acrobat Pro, but not on Adobe Reader. (Both are the most recent edition, and run on Windows 10 Pro.) On reader, just the audio of the MP4 plays, but the image doesn’t show.

(I really don’t understand how Adobe add a feature to it’s PDF format that would be great if it worked, but turns out completely worthless since its own viewer can’t handle it.)

Does anyone know a solution or workaround?

TOPICS
Rich media and 3D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Hi,

I don't if that helps as I'm using Windows but I might be able to help you with the sound only/black sceen video. 

You need to change the graphic settings used by Adobe Acrobat Reader/Pro. I don't know where it is on Mac, but on Windows, you change it to power saving/integrated graphics instead of Nvidia for instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Hi Thomas,

It's in your OS/graphic card settings.

Here's the way to change it in Windows: 

1. Search for Graphic Settings.
  2. In Choose an app to set preference, select Classic app, browse to your acrobat.exe file and click Add.
  3. In the Settings window, click Adobe then Options, and select Power Saving.

Adobe Troubleshooting soluce.png

If you have NVIDIA, you can also do it from the Control Panel, in Manage 3D settings > Program Settings.

ManonD_0-1648625399195.png

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal is probably a bot.

I have already asked for this thread to be elevated to management, but nothing.

Shall we try and find some contacts for Adobe management and get a bloody answer to our question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we should really

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Bernard5ED8 

With the end of the flash player, anything that requires flash player in the PDF is not supported.

The Player control options are limited to ALL or NONE now in Acrobat

You may please share your vote on the uservoice here https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/43874019-rich-me...

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Adobe discontinued Flash support in December 2020 and here we are 2 years later, and nothing has replaced it.

The most annoying part of all this is that the Adobe product Acrobat still invites you to add video and audio when Adobe knows that it hasn't worked for nearly 2 years now. Not even a message telling us about this situation and that now Adobe Acrobat PDF doesn't support audio and video embedding. So what's going on? How can one of the biggest software companies in the world continue to promise functionality that doesn't actually exist in the product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never logged in any type of forum to comment in all my career, but this is just to much to not be adressed. I am currently working on a presentation where I need to insert an animation I created. I cannot believe this, but after several weeks working on it in InDesign and 2 wasted days trying to solve the video playing issue I am quiting Indesign and Acrobat. I am going to work with the good old Power Point!! Haven't used it for 20 years. It is basic, but the video there works with no issues. Thanks Adobe....
I just don't understand how you discontuied wokring with flash without creating a new functioning solution. All these added features are for nothing, if the core stuff doesn't work! Creatives don't need horrible workarounds that work on 1 pc (and not always), but then don't on another. Seeing all this frustraitment for a year, and not prioritizing a solution for this ASAP is just bizzare, it not like this is some sort of start-up company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and after this year I will most likely not be renewing Adobe. The support is terrible, the only response I received is your message so why pay for something that does not work and no support at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's sept 2023 and i'm also having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.06.20320 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, tried EVERY "solution" the adobe team proposed with no success.

Honestly, it's just PATHETIC that the Adobe team suggests to change settings on computers since pdfs we make are meant to be sent and correctly visualised by clients. If a client opens a non-working pdf will just close and discard it. 

Dear Adobe, should understand that your software is not just used to make silly depliants or posters for the community charity event around the corner.

Your software is used by professionals to make money, every bug and defect in your software can cost hundreds if not thousands of $. You're totally failing to offer technical support to high end corporate users, and that's ridiculous. I'm not going to renew subscrition after it expires.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2023 Oct 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @DIEGO5C6C 

We are sorry to hear that.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.06.20320 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in MAC and try using the application there and check.

Would you mind collecting the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines