• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enabling the submit button on a pdf form to work within web browsers.

New Here ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated our bowls club website and added a number of pdf forms for people to apply to join or renew their membership. They have been created so that people can complete them online and then submit the form to the email address that is embedded behind the submit button. Everything works fine when testing on my laptop but once they are uploaded to the website the submit button no longer works. I have spoken with Adobe support who told me that this is already something they know about.

My questions are:

1. Are Adobe going to address this problem as I would imagine I am not the first to discover this? I believe there is other software that could be used where you can submit forms from web browsers but I would like to stay with Adobe if I can.

2. Is there any work around that can be done without downloading the form onto a device, completing it and then submitting it from the device?

I am using Windows 11 and Mozilla Firefox.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nigel28305952qpaa ,

The main observation here is that all web browsers with PDF viewing won't render Acrobat JavaScript code that is secured and intended to be used within the constraints of a PDF document.

However, some widgets (like radio buttons, checkboxes), dropdown menus and texfield objects will be able to render on web browsers with PDF viewing capability.

But if you need the form to be able to submit itself as an email you need to employ Weblinks instead not the button with JavScript code.

Here's an example that I prepared for you and tested it with four different web browsers:

Let me know if you are able to test it.

Here is a screenshot:

mailtoTest.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive the following when I click on the link:

This file has been unshared or deleted. Contact the owner for more
information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CAN'T address this problem. At one time, Adobe made the PDF part of all major browsers. But Google, Firefox, Microsoft and Apple all decide to go their own way, and blocked Adobe. Yes, it was a body blow to PDF forms. I recommend HTML forms for most jobs today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Test Screen Name ,

That was more like Mike Tyson at his prime punching his opponent hard "in the nether regions".

Which reminds me of a famous movie quote from "Swimming with Sharks":

• This is not a business, this is show business. Punching below the belt is not only alright, it's rewarded.

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines