• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Erase Drawing tool does nothing when trying to erase a door in a house drawing - why?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On April 3, 2022, I tried using the "Erase Drawing" tool in the Comments tool.

When I drag (holdind down left mouse button) the eraser over the optional door in a drawing in my PDF, it does nothing.

Why does the eraser tool fail to erase?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frederick23877130wjl3 wrote:

"Erase Drawing" tool in the Comments tool.

Can you show a screen shot that includes your Layers panel and the tool you are using?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to get to the Layers panel; otherwise, I'd be happy to show it to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, here's a partial screen shot. I'm trying to erase the door and corresponding door string at the bottom-center of the screen shot.

Frederick23877130wjl3_0-1649004094188.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot does not show any Panels, the Tool or even clarify which actual application you are using. 

So please try to post a meaningful screenshot. 

edited 

Edit: I saw that the OP had in the meantime posted that they are not talking about Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frederick23877130wjl3 

We're trying to figure out what application you are using. If you are in PS where you posted, go to Window menu > Layers. 

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Photoshop and use the eraser tool to get rid of the door, you will be left with a white blotch if you are on a Background layer and transparency if you are on a pixel layer, assuming everything is on one layer.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Photoshop Forum, what exactly are you talking about? 

Screenshot 2022-04-03 at 18.23.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@c.pfaffenbichler 

I had the same thought, but decided there is a possibility that he is using Photoshop to edit the PDF and just got confused about terms.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the mortal sin of asking a question in the wrong place.

Can you help me move it somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the mortal sin of asking a question in the wrong place.

Can you help me move it somewhere else?

I cannot move the thread but would you mind telling which application you are using? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 22.001.20085

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat's Erase Drawing tool is for erasing lines created with the Commenting tools, not for the underlying PDF.

BTW, while not a mortal sin, it makes it hard to figure out what the problem is if we have to guess the program. A simple "sorry about that..." would be more appropriate. Most of us can't read minds.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved it for you, but accidentally moved it in pieces. I think I have it back together again. 

This looks like it came from a CAD program, so it may or may not have layers in Acrobat. It's worth checking.

View menu > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Layers

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers looks empty to me:

Frederick23877130wjl3_0-1649006533902.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the elements are vector and not a pixel image one might be able to select with the »Edit Object«-Tool and delete. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the redaction tool of Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That redaction tool has two unwanted side-effects that make it unsuitable for the task I'm trying to accomplish:

1. it doesn't just erase the lines, it also leaves a big white splot behind and it removed the thick line I had manually added to show that the door was replaced by a wall.
  2.  previously added comment text boxes are now blurry looking.  I was hoping

I'm really hoping there is a way to remove, even if it has to be pixel-by-pixel, at high magification, the door and it's even thinner door-swing from the PDF without other unwanted side-effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the graphic a pixel image? 

If so you could edit it with Photoshop (or another image editor). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I tell if a piece of a PDF (assuming there are even multiple pieces to begin with) is a pixel image?

My ideal solution to this issue would be:

1. use a tool to find out the RGB value of the background color.
  2.  set the eraser tool properties to erase using that color.
  3. erase the door and its corresponding door swing using an eraser tool that would leave only the background color.

Is this something that my subscription to Adobe Acrobat Pro can accomplish or is this particular task something it is incapable of performing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the pdf. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've attached the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I tell if a piece of a PDF... is a pixel image?

We seem to be having trouble from your descriptions so far, so please follow the suggestion from @c.pfaffenbichler . Once we see it we will be able to better assist and give you the correct steps, including which application to use.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest way to tell a raster (pixel) image from a vector image is to zoom in really large. If you see pixels, it's raster; if you see smooth curves, it vector. There is a bit of both in your PDF:

image.png

This PDF was created from Adobe Illustrator. so the best option is to go back to the original Illustrator file. However, I can't tell if the art itself was created in Illustrator or placed into it. Although not recommended, I was able to open the PDF page 3 in Illustrator and delete the door way.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines