• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File preview thumbnails aren't working for Acrobat DC files in Windows Explorer

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from Acrobat XI to Acrobat DC on Windows 7, and now any new PDFs I create display with a generic PDF icon rather than a thumbnail preview of the file.  Files created in Acrobat XI are displaying correctly (see screenshot).  Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a resolution?PDF-Icon-Screenshot.jpg

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Hi djbilly

This was fixed in our update released yesterday. Make sure you are on the latest update by visiting Help > Check for updates.

Next, to enable thumbnail previews go to Preferences > General and then select Enable PDF thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer.

Thanks,

-ashu

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2015 Jun 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is laughable, have a read of this from Adobe Help Desk (top is newest, scroll to bottom first):

Notes to Customer

Friday, June 12, 2015 6:54:31 AM PDT
Hi G,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support.
We are responding in reference to your case no.

We had to remove the thumbnail preview functionality from Acrobat and Reader DC for technical reasons. We know there are users who v
alue it but certain design considerations forced us to make this change.

The new icon for PDFs created by using Acrobat DC seems to appear like this only (as a generic PDF icon). PDF files that were create
d using Acrobat XI represent the same icon as it used to be earlier.

It is not a problem and you can just enjoy this amazing new look of your PDF icons.

For further help please call us at 1800-614-863 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)
You can also visit to www.adobe.com/support for any assistance regarding Adobe
products. You can also visit forums.adobe.com as it’s a useful resource for self-help.

Thanks & Regards
Adobe Support

Notes from Customer

Thursday, May 28, 2015 2:16:14 PM PDT
Hello and thanks for responding. Going backwards to 11 Pro is a disappointing suggestion. Can you please respond as follows:
- How do you expect people to find a PDF file, when you may have 100 files in a folder that are numbered, not labeled (such as plan
s)?
- Do you know of the concept of people thinking visually?

Your software is all based around visual design, now you are moving a LONG WAY BACKWARDS. Can this please be responded to by a senio
r, committed team member from Adobe Australia, I have had enough of support responses that say
"We would like to inform you that functionality for viewing Preview in thumbnails is no more available in new Adobe Acrobat Pro DC."

"is no more available" isn't even English. Come on, lift your game.

Notes to Customer

Monday, May 25, 2015 7:38:48 AM PDT
Hi G,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support.
We are responding in reference to your case no .
We would like to inform you that functionality for viewing Preview in thumbnails is no more available in new Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
It was present in Acrobat 11 Pro, you can remove Acrobat DC & install Acrobat 11 Pro if need that functionality.

For further help please call us at 1800-614-863 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)
You can also visit to www.adobe.com/support for any assistance regarding Adobe
products. You can also visit forums.adobe.com as it’s a useful resource for self-help.

Thanks & Regards
Adobe Support

Notes from Customer

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:25:59 PM PDT
THUMBNAILS NOT WORKING IN ACROBAT PRO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbelievable!!! They still use that pretentieus "..enjoy the amazing new look...". I'm afraid they will not correct this "amazing new" behaviour. Now thinking of leaving Adobe too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about "is no more available" ?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install Adobe Bridge CC and use that as your explorer. I know it is not ideal but at least you can preview your pdf files without having to open each and everyone of them. Seems odd to me that it will work in bridge but not explorer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like Adobe Bridge is the workaround, but why should we have to have another file browser to get the preview functionality back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2015 Jul 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I fixed this problem using this way:

1. Install Sagethumbs / SageThumbs download | SourceForge.net

2. Install Adobe Reader preview handler x64 fixer / Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnails

3. Restart the computer.

4. Install Foxit reader and set it as default pdf reader. Foxit Software | Fast, Affordable, and Secure PDF Solutions

5. Open some pdf files in Foxit, then close it.

5. Reset Acrobat Pro DC as the default reader. Refresh the screen. Done!

捕获.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2015 Jul 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FoxIt solution doesn't work on my Windows 8.1 x64. Any other idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
it should work, just install SageThumbs and Adobe fixit app you have links in above posts.
Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Bridge (free product through Adobe Creative Cloud with my Acrobat DC Std month-month plan) provides the pdf thumbnail functionality, although it does mean I have a duplicate file browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Bridge is a great work-around for a sad situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bridge was not a good option for me.  I need to see the thumbnails in file explorer.  I installed Fox It Reader and now I can do that.  No more need for Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me. I'm on Windows 10 and tried to get the thumbs back. I already had Sage Thumbs, but when I downgraded to Acrobat XI, it still didn't work. I then applied the fix found here:

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/#downl

And it worked!

http://sasscodesign.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Just letting you know your fix worked perfectly for me - even without downloading / installing SageThumbs.

I am using both Readers (Adobe DC and Foxit) - depending which feature I need, and all thumbnail previews

are there, created by DC Reader.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIX IT, ALL I'M HEARING IS EXCUSES.

YOU TOOK IT OUT, NOW TAKE THAT HEXIDECIMAL CODE AND PUT IT BACK IN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked perfectly!! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dybillyd1.

One extra note on your relatively simple instructions is that the "Shell" option must be checked for Foxit install; I initially unselected all options and got no thumbnails but after doing again with "Shell" selected all okay.

I then installed Foxit on another computer with Acrobat DC already installed starting at step 4 and skipping step 6, and all okay.

People should probably trial the Foxit paid program before buy Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2015 Jul 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've fixed my problem by installing the free FoxIt Reader application as suggested in this thread. I feel like a chump for paying Adobe for a Creative Cloud subscription. With each new version doled out to its captive audience Adobe removes functionality. If only my employers didn't require me to use Adobe applications I could support people like FoxIt who are fully capable of producing a pdf reader that easily generates thumbnails on 64-bit Windows machines. When Adobe says they're having technical problems but FoxIt can do it, what should we think? Is Adobe technically incompetent or does their new Acrobat DC stand for "Doesn't Care" about their customers? It's just plain unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to do the trick- $10.00 is reasonable, does a lot more than just restore your pdf icons.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

also..just discovered this now wtf? Anyone know how to disable/bypass the default save dialog which,  despite the faux sprinkling of alternate options, is basically one big SAVE TO CLOUD button, and yet more clicking to get where you really want to be... sighs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2015 Sep 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has bothered me as well since the day it went live. I prefer not to use older versions of apps like this so I've been without them since then. I also do not want to go through the tricks to get them back. I had searched back then but found no program, but I just searched again and found a completely free prog caleld PDF Preview to let you see PDF thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Works for 7 & older, 8 & 10 not mentioned, I don't have either so I can't test. PDF Preview for Windows 7 / Vista / XP / 2008 (PDF Preview Handler)

I just installed and it seems great, but I will say I'm not responsible if it messes up your computer. It ads a white stripe to the side of the thumbnail but it's certainly better than before. Like many of you I have 100s of PDFs sometimes in a folder and used to rely on the image previews. Also you have to pick this or Adobe reader to view the PDFs, so it is only partly helpful. You can swap the file association back & forth as needed since Adobe thinks a major thing people rely on isn't that important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the Foxit Reader suggestion, and it rocks!

Not only my thumbnails are back, but it opens 10 times faster and I don't have to be closing useless side panels.

I really don't edit PDFs files, but I have to store thousands of them, so Thumbnails, as stated on this thread, it's u MUST HAVE!.

To avoid wasting space and resources, I uninstalled Acrobat Reader 10, and I doubt I'll miss it at all.

Can't believe that in 4 years, Adobe still has this design error, and they don't care. Good for Foxit!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fox It Reader worked for me on Windows 10.  Hopefully Adobe will fix this when their sales decrease because of this issue.  They are not getting a penny from me.  I am no longer using their products because of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have same annoying .pdf thumbnails problems here with all our workers (with win7 64 bit OS and Acrobat DC). When you will repair this issue? Any plans or scheduling?

With best regards..

Timo Pesonen, Quality Manager

Konepaja Häkkinen Oy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone from Adobe please answer this question? After all, we are paying monthly for Adobe to "depreciate" for vague, "technical reasons" a basic, necessary feature that other, FREE programs, have solved. Even though you know, Adobe invented the very file format in question. It is too absurd to stand as it is and if we are, in essence paying every month for you to have your software function less productively than I  think we at least deserve an answer to Timo's question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With the October update of Acrobat DC released last week, we have added back the support of PDF Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer for 32 bit systems.

Please note that by default, it is disabled. To enable the same, please go to Edit -> Preferences -> General and turn ON the check box "Enable PDF Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer"

Thanks & Regards

Sachin Soni

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that sounds good - but why only for 32bit machines???

i think the most people are using 64bit systems nowadays...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines