• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flattening a pdf

Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Adobe Acrobat DC, how do we flatten a pdf file? 

We often have stamps, signatures, highlighting, etc. added to a .pdf.   In Nuance Power PDF, we would just hit the "Flatten File" button, how do we go about flattening it in DC? 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Adding a Digital Signature does protect the entire document from being edited by someone else. Thanks this has been very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an Action that executes this JS code:

this.flattenPages();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been successfully flattening PDF documents with data fields into plain PDFs for the last 6 years Using version 11 and then DC 2015. Just today the plain PDF has grey highlighting everywhere the data fields (blue boxes) were. Is there any way I can get rid of the grey highlighting in the plain PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the fill color of the fields from light gray to white or transparent before flattening the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Setting up and running the JavaScript in the Action Wizard does work; however, it's quite involved for the average user to set up and run.

It looks like one could go to File, Print, to Adobe DC print driver, works also.

It's too bad Adobe didn't create a Flatten File button for users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using an Action is much easier (and better) then "re-frying" the file, in my opinion. Another option is to create a .js file that adds a menu (or toolbar) icon that does it, and then you would be able to access it with just one or two clicks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I set that up on my pc, but most user's are not that saavy to mess with it. 

I noticed that this action doesn't flatten watermarks, Bates numbering, headers/footers, etc. 

I guess we are looking for a feature that will make a .pdf including stamps, watermarks, Bates, etc. when sent to another person, is unchangeable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then flattening is not the way to go, as even a flattened file can be easily edited in Acrobat.

Your best option is a Digital Signature field. It will not prevent editing the file, but it will become invalidated when it happens, allowing you to prove that the file was modified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding a Digital Signature does protect the entire document from being edited by someone else. Thanks this has been very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just discovered, through a customer, that if they digitally sign a contract, that I created in Acrobat DC, while using NitroPDF, their end customer is still able to alter the contract. The signature didn't protect it. Just a heads up that there are some wonky things between the various PDF software programs. FoxIt doesn't play well with Adobe documents either. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very easy. Go to File, Print. Choose PDF995 printer, correct page size and press PRINT. The file will be a flatten file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines