• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get shared pdf link to show in browser according to my "Initial View" settings

Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I produce and distribute (share a link to) a pdf file on a weekly basis. When I open it online, it always opens in full width view, even if I set the "Initial View" to something else in Acrobat before creating the link. This does not appear to be a browser issue, as it happens in both Chrome and Edge, and on my apple mobile devices. I want it to default to "Fit Page" view.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF viewers of Chrome and Edge ignores this settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean that what I want to do (show the whole page when someone follows the link) is not possible? And what about Safari?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact the support of Google, Microsoft, and Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a disappointing, incomplete, buck-passing response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with the reply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with the reply? I found it...

disappointingfailing to fulfill one's hopes or expectations

incomplete: not complete; lacking some part.

buck-passing: avoiding responsibility by shifting it to another.

My question was a sincere, respectful question. It was about how the Adobe cloud website displays an Adobe generated file. Your initial response to my post just said that these browsers ignore this particular setting, but you didn't propose any other solution. So I tried to clarify what I was looking to do, in case there might be an alternative. Your curt command to contact someone else was a bit rude for someone who "speaks for Adobe." And it didn't actually answer the question, except in a sort of passive-aggressive way. If the answer is, "I don't know of any way to do what you're trying to do," then say so. So... disappointing, incomplete, and buck-passing.

Incidentally, I have discovered that Microsoft OneDrive does not display the same file the same way on the same browser, so it looks like this is not simply a question of how the browser handles it, but a question of how the website presents it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't speak for Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to this, you do: https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community-discussions/points-badges/td-p/4789380#jive_conte... 

ds316_0-1631650773246.png Adobe Community Professional: An officially-recognized product expert who can speak on behalf of Adobe, but not an employee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want it to default to "Fit Page" view.

===========

@ds316,

You're asking for the impossible, sorry.

The problem with viewing PDF is that it depends entirely on which PDF viewer the end user has and what settings they use.  That's an unknown variable. It could be anything from old version of FREE Acrobat Reader to an inferior 3rd party viewer (not Acrobat) that's built-in to your end user's web browsers.  Unfortunately, telling Acrobat to open PDF files at a certain zoom level won't matter a hill of beans to Safari, MS Edge, Chrome or other 3rd party PDF viewers that ignore Acrobat settings. 

The first answer you received from fellow ACP @Bernd Alheit  was accurate  -- even if not what you were hoping for.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By engaging in some long conversations with actual Adobe employees, I have learned that @Bernd Alheit's answer was not accurate. In fact, it was kind of a guess, not really based on any actual knowledge of what settings various browsers "ignore." Both of you completely ignored the fact that other cloud systems, OneDrive AND Google drive, successfully displayed THE SAME FILE according to the settings on the browsers you claim are ignoring these settings. Adobe has acknowledged that this is an issue with their cloud system, and not with the browser. This is actually the correct answer to my question; I hope other Community members will find this information helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of you completely ignored the fact that other cloud systems, OneDrive AND Google drive, successfully displayed THE SAME FILE according to the settings on the browsers you claim are ignoring these settings. Adobe has acknowledged that this is an issue with their cloud system, and not with the browser.

By @ds316

Nowhere did you mention that you want to share the link to the file on Creative Cloud/Google Drive/One Drive. I assume that you discussed it with Adobe staff, but you didn't post it in this thread.

This changes everything, because these systems have their own built-in server-based PDF viewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

From my previous post in this thread: "Incidentally, I have discovered that Microsoft OneDrive does not display the same file the same way on the same browser, so it looks like this is not simply a question of how the browser handles it, but a question of how the website presents it."

Also, is there a way to share a pdf file from Acrobat that DOESN'T employ the Adobe cloud system? 

Either way, it's clearly NOT a problem that is isolated in the browser, which is what has been marked as a "correct answer" here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines