• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Give us back the Zoom Marquee tool (Acrobat DC)

Participant ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I had to crop a series of PDFs, for which I needed to zoom closer to the area of interest. To my disgust, the zoom marquee has been replaced by a "Photoshop-like" Pan and Zoom Window. This is a clunky tool that I don't even use in PhotoShop.

Who the hell is making these decisions to remove functionality from Acrobat? Let me explain what is needed:

1. In the toolbar, allow user to right-click and customize (such as removing unwanted buttons).

2. Allow user to add Zoom Marquee tool. When user needs to zoom, they click the Zoom Marquee tool, and then they drag a marquee to indicate the area that should be magnified. Do you understand?

Increasingly, I'm getting the impression that Acrobat DC is like the Metro interface for Windows 8, or the reworked Pages on the Mac. Adobe is inserting tablet and phone controls into a desktop product, which is reducing the usefulness of the Acrobat product.

I don't understand why a tablet user would need a Pan and Zoom Window. Wouldn't a tablet user use a three-finger motion to zoom?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

I found that unchecking Preferences -> GPU Performance -> Animated Zoom returned the zoom tool the old behavior (drawing a marquee around what I wanted to zoom in on)

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I'm missing the zoom marquee tool. Also am I the only one getting confused by the fact the magnify glass symbol is now used for zoom in some applications and find in others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%.  This is a major setback for the type of work I do in illustrator.  I am constantly moving from full view of a large format sheet (18x24 to 20x30) to a very close zoom (3x4) to a specific area of the page.  The scrubby zoom is completely ineffective for that scenario.  The Zoom Marquee tool needs to be added back in as an option.  My productivity just took a major nose dive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that unchecking Preferences -> GPU Performance -> Animated Zoom returned the zoom tool the old behavior (drawing a marquee around what I wanted to zoom in on)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaaaah.... you are a saint!  Thank you so much for sharing that setting.  I never would have found that and as soon as I saw this message in my inbox it only took me 30 second to switch it and get back to "normal".

Thanks so much!

Christine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're very welcome!

I wish they wouldn't just 'decide' what's best for us;

I've been using the zoom tool that way for over SOOOO many years now it's baked into my brain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely and what's more "efficient" in one scenario of using illustrator is very much NOT in other scenarios.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This has been driving me crazy since I updated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this is not the answer that works.

What you mentioned is for Illustrator ...

But the question was for Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG this was driving me mental....Thank you thank you thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for telling me how to go back to the marquee zoom. I was about to lose my mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much "12312312414" for discovering and sharing that tip. Preferences > GPU Performance > Uncheck "Animated Zoom" did it for me too. Never would have found it in a million years. Suddenly not having marquee zoom was devastating.

It's a perplexing choice to make that the default setting because there are so many other ways to progressively zoom if you wanted to (cmd +/-, trackpad pinch) why on earth would we want another tool that behaves the exact same way?

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2015 Jul 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a rather confusing set of messages. This is the ACROBAT Feature Request forum, and the original question was certainly about the new Acrobat DC. But most of the replies seem to be about Illustrator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's a great solution for this in Illustrator, but like Test said, the OP was talking about Acrobat and how stupid it is that there is no marquee zoom in there. Which still stands. And if I click on that stupid magnifying glass that pops up the search one more time I'm just going to give up and go home...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We found the marquee zoom tool! Ok, by "we" I mean our intern, but still...

Right click on the tool bar at the top to add a tool, Show Select and Zoom Tools, Marquee Zoom. It then is on your tool bar. I can't find it in the Tools tab or anything, but at least now we have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the correct answer.

Chris.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the top answer! Thank you for reading and understanding forum questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for solving both of these incredibly annoying problems. I love you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 100%.  Removing the marquee zoom function is a very bad decision.  When I need to zoom, I want to be able to drag my mouse over the area I need to zoom, of course, the function is no longer available.  I have to use + or - key to zoom and then using my up/down and left/right key to move to the area that I need to look at.  This would take me at least 10 + click to get to where I need to get.  What a big step backward.  I think Adobe should do an update and add this function back on.

A very unhappy customer !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌the replies told how to put the tool back, it never went away, just harder to find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got here by Googling "indesign marquee zoom" because I was missing this in InDesign. It's working now. Thanks so much for the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have always been able to right-click your toolbar and / or go to the View menu to add / remove tools in Acrobat. Here are the Zoom tools shown from the View menu. If it is checked, then it is on your toolbar.

If this is new to you, explore these other menus by right clicking your toolbar and selecting what you want to have. My favorites in addition to the marquee zoom are undo and redo from the Edit tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been struggling for ages with the panning rubbish. Thanks soooo much people! Maquee is back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines