• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Highlight bar gives me a HUGE elliptical area when I'm just trying to highlight a word or two

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I'm trying to highlight a short sentence or even just a word in a PDF. When I take the cursor over what I want to highlight, I get this oval shape, covering like 10 lines. It's HUGE. How can I make it highlight just the one area on the file? And sometimes it becomes a combo of shapes and sizes

How do I fix this? Where do I go to change the height of this thing and make it just cover the selected text? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Bernd:

I found the fix for it by selecting the "Save as PDF" in the print dialog box instead of using any other Adobe PDF options that may appear. That corrected the issue. I have attached a screenshot for you to see what my options were.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi StevieWonder

We are sorry for the trouble. As described the highlight tool cursor changes to oval shape covering like 10 lines.

Is this a scanned PDF document without any real text? If yes, you can use Acrobat to recognize text in previously scanned documents that have already been converted to PDF. Optical character recognition (OCR) software enables you to search, correct, and copy the text in a scanned PDF.

Please run the 'Scan and OCR' tool and try to recognize text in the PDF. Go to Tools > Sacn and OCR > Recognize Text > In this file and then try to highlight the text using the Comment Tool.

For more information please refer to the steps provided in the help article https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/using/scan-documents-pdf.html#recognize_text_in_scanned_documents

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from Acrobat 9 Pro to Acrobat 2020 Pro, and I wish I had never wasted my time or money. Acrobat 2020 is extremely user UNfriendly. My most recent and recurring issue is that regardless of whether I download or scan a document, I run the "Scan/OCR" tool and then try to select various words, sentences, or paragraphs, the selection selects an entire block of text that is completely unrelated but within the bounding box identified. This happens no matter if the bounding box is turned on or off. How do I get the selection tool to ONLY select what I want and not what Acrobat wants? In the test document below, I tried to highlight ONLY the first four words of the last sentence of paragraph 5. Please help me with this infuriating thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the issue when I create the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because your Adobe Acrobat is working as it should. I didn't ask how many people it is working for. I asked for help fixing the problem that the original poster and myself are having!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Export the page as TIFF file
  • Open the TIFF file in Adobe Acrobat
  • Run OCR on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you telling me that the only way that I can get this [expletive removed by a moderator] Acrobat Pro 2020 to work properly is to first convert every document to the TIFF format and then run OCR on it??? That's not going to work for me. I paid for a fully functional Acrobat 2020 Pro and not something that I have to patch together, wasting time with extra steps to make it work when most people don't. My previous versions never required this step, and this 2020 Pro version didn't require it initially. It was only after one of the Adobe updates that this issue started, and I do not know which update it was.

Give me a real fix or send me a different version of Acrobat Pro with a license key and I'll delete my Acrobat 2020 Pro and use the version you send to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you created the file in Adobe Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> That's not going to work for me.

Does you get any error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bernd.  That worked for me perfectly.  I'll try the print option "Save as PDF" next time since I later read that as a simpler option, but yours worked.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP did not respond to this whole discussion, you do not know if the OP has the same troubles. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal:

I also wanted to add that the link you provided for the OP to use does nothing to correct the situation that either he or I are reporting. Please help, or at a bare minimum, escalate this issue to an upper-level tech to look into.

Thank you.

Greg Scher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

Also, make sure you have the recent version of the Acrobat 2020 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Please share the PDF file in question so that we can check it at our end.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal:

Thank you for your response. I think that I may have stumbled upon the cause of the issue...

I believe that Acrobat may have some compatibility issues with Windows 11 Pro. I just discovered that if I use the Windows "download" feature to acquire a PDF, Acrobat processes it correctly and without any issues. However, if there is a web page or document that I want and I save it by using the "print to PDF" feature, then the PDF created displays correctly but will not allow the rest of the Acrobat features to process it accurately.

What can I do to get the Acrobat feature of "print to PDF" to work correctly with my Windows 11 Pro?

Whew. Thanks for whatever you come up with.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browser does you use when you print to PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd:

I generally use Chrome to do most of my research, navigation, and downloading. I use MS Edge for all of the junk crap like Facebook and Instagram. I also have Firefox as a backup when a website has an issue with Chrome, but I don't recall ever downloading anything through Firefox.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this issue when using Chrome.

Try a other browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd:

I found the fix for it by selecting the "Save as PDF" in the print dialog box instead of using any other Adobe PDF options that may appear. That corrected the issue. I have attached a screenshot for you to see what my options were.

Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal:

We found the fix for the problem yesterday. The help pages were of no use and that is why I came to this forum in the first place.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I was having this issue and the Save as PDF worked!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad I could help. Adobe was of no use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Amal.  ADOBE you should pay you for researching and resolving issues that they don't even how to solve.  I opted to highlight instead of redacting because the redaction feature erases (redacts) text that was not even selected!  Please note that I learned how to redact thanks to a member of the community, not by ADOBE! Amal. thanks again! Daniel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, Amal was of no help whatsoever. This issue came up three (3) years ago, and if you read down through the thread, you will find that it was MY diligence, My research, and My fix that solved the problem that Adobe still has not fixed. Greg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2024 Jan 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But adobe charges me $30CAD 

it shouldn't be like this from the first place

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Greg

Please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/troubleshoot-acrobat-pdfmaker-problems-office.html and see if that works.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines