• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do hide its tooltips text from displaying when the cursor/mouse moves over a form field?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for answer: 

I have created fillable form with many form fields. I don't want the Tooltips text to display when my mouse or cursor moves over a form field as the text only make sense to me. How can I prevent it from displaying? Can anyone help? 

Thanks!! 

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex27563047rd18 

Edit the form fields and delete the tooltips text.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Jane. 

Is there a way to mass update the Tooltips of multiple form fields? Or do I have to delete them one by one? 

And is there any impact to delete the Tooltip of a text form field? 

Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex27563047rd18 

You're welcome, Alex.

If you are putting the PDF on the web or a server, proper tooltips are required for Section 508, as they are read out loud by screen readers to folks who are blind. If it's just you, they are optional.

I am not in my office now, but many things can be done on multiple fields if they are the same kind of field. You don't have to close Properties ever as you are formatting fields. Just keep it open for the duration.

Try muliple-selecting by dragging across the fields (starting a little off to the side) or by Shift+Clicking. Try it with three or four fields first to see if it works. If you can delete the tooltip, you succeeded. Otherwise, you have to do it one at a time — unless someone steps up and says they have written a script that can do that. Not all scripts are free — some are sold, and they will tell you if that is so.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Jane. 

Looks like I have to update Tooltip for each field one by one. Can't multi-update. In that case deleting the tooltip text is faster. 

Thanks for your help! 

Alex 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alex,

I wasn't sure about screentips. I will multiple-select to format the typeface and size or to change the checkbox from the default square to a check, but not everything is available when you multiple-select. Some things have to be one at a time.

Keeping Properties open makes it go faster, though.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I found that keeping property dialogue box not "Closed" does make it faster, though the updates has to be done one by one. 

Thanks! 

Alex 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use this code to remove the tooltips from all the fields in your file:

for (var i=0; i<this.numFields; i++) {
	var fname = this.getNthFieldName(i);
	var f = this.getField(fname);
	if (f==null) continue;
	f.userName = "";
}

You can run it from the JS Console, a button, or even an Action (the latter will allow you to process multiple files in a single process).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tooltips Remover is a free Action for Acrobat Pro: https://www.abracadabrapdf.net/?p=876

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@try67 @JR Boulay I tried both solutions and they all worked! Many thanks to you all!

Alex 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines