• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make the dropdown required by not allowing the "Please Select Option" as selected answer

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings!

May you please help me on how do I make the dropdown required and not allowing the "Please Select Option" as the selected option by the user.

Please see attached screenshot:

Almi23147849yqdz_1-1645611794346.jpeg

Thank you and hoping for your reply.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

A submit will be blocked when a field is both required and set to it's default value.  So make "Please Select" the default. I don't see any need for the script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make custom script to validate fields you wish to check if they have been filled, and put script on your 'Save' button. But what if users doesn't use the button to save? You could also put script in document action 'Will save'  it will alert user if there are fields they need to fill when they try to save normal way, but it will not stop them to save file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so would you suggest adding it to both, or will that create an error state?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script above does not work on either save option. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You CANNOT stop the user saving a file. The idea of "required" applies only to "real" submit actions. This is vital - what if the user has to go home or deal with an emergency half way through the form - they must be free to save it and return to their work later.  Start by accepting this point (that you cannot stop a save), and seeing that your options are very limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically, unless we go back to emailing it or create a single upload url, submit is pointless? Each user has their own folder in Basecamp and each "Company" has their own Basecamp site. Basecamp is similar to Asana, in case you were wondering. We used to do these forms every month on paper and hand it in. I'm not sure who would even process all of the forms if we e-mailed them and we have a definite change of command and users all over the country. If you have any suggestions I'm open to them. I would like to use required fields, but its not the end of the world if I can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree required fields are useless to you if you want to work this way. But I take issue with a small point "So basically, unless we go back to emailing it or create a single upload url, submit is pointless?" The problem is you have decided not to submit AT ALL but do something different (probably saving), which you can call "submit" but in PDF terms is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You answered that question. I want to do a real submit, but that is out of my control as the organization has chosen for us to save the completed form and upload it to our folder in Basecamp. Thanks for the confirmation though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing you can do, though, is display a large field saying "INCOMPLETE FORM" somewhere on the page when the file is saved, unless all the required fields have been filled-in. This can be achieved using a script that will execute on the document's Will Save event. That will make it easier to spot such files, and possibly reject them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines