• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I open pdf's in separate windows in Adobe Acrobat Standard 23.001 version?

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option is not there in Preferences -> General. Please let me know, I dont like them opening in new tabs in the same window, I want them to open in different windows.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Disable the new UI:

Amal_0-1661253905077.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an idea:  Why don't they go back to whatever they did with Acrobat 9, TWENTY YEARS AGO, when you could open as many docs as you wanted in separate windows and swap pages back and forth all day long? Every new version makes the program clunkier and more expensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellow, by sheer chance I stumbled upon a solution to separate pdf in different windows. I open them all as tabs and then I press Ctrl + Shift+ K, and, like magic, all pdfs appear as different windows, I hope this helps you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2024 Sep 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked perfectly.  Thank you so much, you've saved me hours of struggling. I'd send you a bag of Raven's Brew Deadman Reach (organic, whole bean) if I had your address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to open Adobe 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE--You need to fix this.  If I wanted to see all my documents in the same Window, I would run MS-DOS, not MS-Windows.  It's not 1994 anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed - this is really annoying. Adobe please fix this ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO, DOS was actually better than the mess that Win 11 + Adobe have created.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Office 365/One Drive, you can right click the 2nd file and choose view online.  I just did this and have the 2 documents side by side (on a 27" screen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open PDF in New Window Instead of Tab 2024
https://youtu.be/wQPkieFCPqM

In this step-by-step tutorial, Learn How To Open PDF in New Window Instead of Tab 2024 | ​How to Open Files in Separate Windows This video is for teaching and helping purposes, My goal is to help you save time so you can spend it on the activities that matter. If you like the video, then please ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Buckley25381968lzef- it works, but it reverts your entire Acrobat application to a previous version, removing the benefits of other innovations available in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat 2023 ("New Acrobat") needs the option to open each document in a new window.

This should be possible without disabling New Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2023 Dec 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree.  I am glad that disabling the new adobe acrobat is an option! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in a previous post (which has now become buried), you can "tear" it to a new window.  I have the latest version of Acrobat Pro and just tried it and it works.  Open your second (or subsequent) document in the current window.  Click and hold the tab for that document and drag it outside of the current window.  You have to drag it rather slowly - you can lose where it is.  Can't do it if the original window you are using takes up your whole computer screen.  I promise this works.  You don't have to revert to the older UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@keithedmistonWhat you say is correct. However, the action you describe requires additional steps for each document which can quickly become unwieldy when handling multiple-document workflows. Sometimes the user simply needs to be able to quickly open each document in a new window, which was previously accommodated by a simple application setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense.  I didn't think about it in that context.  I guess the best method for a given person is directly related to their use, like once every now and then or daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ultimate question I have is why do we all (Acrobat users) have to even have this conversation?  If there was some trade-off to losing this functionality, at least it would make some degree of sense, even if I disagreed with the value of it.  I am even more frustrated with the fact that I can't have an "open" icon on the bar.  I don't want to hit "ctrl+o" and I don't want to go from the drop down menu.  It is seemingly insignificant, but it just irks me to no end.  I have no understanding of the software development industry (at all), but sometimes I wonder if the thought process is "oops, we haven't updated this thing in 14 months, somebody make it look prettier or at least different, and oh, we have to at least make a functionality change or two as well or it might not really be considered an update."  All that being said, not using Acrobat is like using a word processor other than Microsoft Word in a legal or business environment, at least to me it is.  Regardless of what they do to it, I'll end up using it anyway (absurd changes notwithstanding), because I really like the product (I've "tested" others), it inegrates with the most important things, and it feels like home to me.  By the way, if there is a way to get my beloved "open" button on the bar, please please somebody tell me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is actually simple once you know how. I researched and nothing helped but finally stumbled upon the solution: when you have more than one documenbt open but all bunched in the same tab group merely go to "Window" in the menu at the top and scroll down to "New Window"  (on the mac its 8th from the top). When you hit this the document is moved from the group to its own window. Viola - but no thanks to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is actually simple once you know how. I researched and nothing helped but finally stumbled upon the solution: when you have more than one documenbt open but all bunched in the same tab group merely go to "Window" in the menu at the top and scroll down to "New Window"  (on the mac its 8th from the top). When you hit this the document is moved from the group to its own window. Viola - but no thanks to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LouLiberty  your description is correct, but it requires extra steps to open each document in its own window.

Previously, Acrobat allowed configuration such that any document would automatically open in a new window. This flexibility has been removed from the current version, which is why people are complaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue with current Acrobat version 2023.008.xx, option not available:

rkovacic_0-1704575066261.png

Mac Pro desktop running Mac OS X Monterey, v 12.7.xx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just "Disable New Acrobat" and your files will open separately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @C.W.McCall.  People are specifically looking for a way to do this without disabling New Acrobat and its new features and UI. The instruction you provided requires rolling back to a previous (non-new-Acrobat) version, which is not acceptable for the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have people looking at this matter, then PLEASE also have them look
at restoring multiple-page scrolling by dragging the original scroll tab on
the right of Adobe Acrobat PDF pages. Having lost this daily-used and
critical editorial/proofreading/correcting function means we cannot update
to the latest version. It is critical to be able to move from one place
early in, say, a 600-page PDF file to another well through it without
constantly scrolling page after page – when the exact page number is not
known. But critical for a multitude of other reasons as well.

Best wishes,
Quentin Wilson

Quentin Wilson | Publisher | *QUENTIN WILSON* *PUBLISHING* | 105 Moncks
Spur Road | Redcliffs | Christchurch 8081 | New Zealand | *M: *027 505 8383
quentinwilsonpublishing.com <>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say is IDIOTS!!  How can a major software company release an update with functionality taken away?  Obviously a programming shortcoming in the updated software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines