How do I straighten scanned pages in Adobe Acrobat DC?

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I straighten scanned PDF pages in Adobe Acrobat DC?

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Use the "Enhance Scans" function (just search for "scan" in Acrobat's tool search). You then have to select that you want to enhance a scanned document:

2017-09-29_12-44-50.png

And then select to edit the Settings:

2017-09-29_12-45-03.png

Now you can adjust the filters. One of the available filters is "Deskew", which will straighten the scanned pages.

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - when I open the scanned document with Adobe.  Here is the scanned document (it's not super skewed, but you can see it's off.:

skewed pdf.jpg

Here it is after I clicked edit pdf and it performed the "recognizing text"

skewed edit.jpg

That's how I've been fixing it with a text document.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran into this thread due to having a similar issue. I find it also absolutely unbelievable that such expensive program doesn't have a simply feature as free form rotation option. And even if you get it working, it's still messes up the quality quite a lot.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pages I just edited are skewed a little - I couldn't scan them myself because the place where I scan is closed for Covid, so a friend did it for me, and I didn't want to be too fussy. I rotated them 90 degrees, cropped them, removed the specks, put the single pages into one 42-page file, and posted it on the website. Some day, when this pandemic is over, I will scan it myself and be very, very careful to get it perfectly straight, and do the rest over again. If I had seen this page before it was all done, yes I would have tried deskewing it too, but when I have done that in photo programs - even very good ones - the type has always lost some quality, and it is probably more important to have it sharp and clear than completely straight.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing that you need to ask this question. I ran into the same problem when
I tried DC. With Acrobat 9 Pro, all you had to do was OCR recognition on a
document or page. Not only did it make the text selectable but it
straightened and turned every page so the document was readable. I dumped DC
and went back to 9 Pro. I tried to communicate with Adobe but, as you
probably know, that isn't easy. I documented my problem with DC and sent
notes. That was a year ago and it sounds like no one cared enough to fix
it!!! Go back to 9 Pro.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my next Acrobat will be 9 Pro. Thanks!

Actually, I might have the option to deskew the pages, but have put all 42 into a single file and posted them, and they are tilted only a tiny bit (not all of them). I might even have to crop them again, and it was quite a task to get them all exactly the same width. So I will leave alone for now, and maybe go back and deskew them later.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the only program that had better features in earlier versions! I use Finale - the full version because I use it in my work. When I updated I could hardly believe it - Finale used to have a wonderful .pdf help section with searchable topics - whatever you wanted to do, it was a snap to find it. I could hardly believe that the newer version had help files that were not accessible at all! They are html, and visible if you look in the program files, but NOT accessible from the program. People have been finding work-arounds, like creating a shortcut from the program files to the desktop. Finale and Acrobat are both high-end programs and I would think they would do better.

Then there is the disappearance of "All Lists" on eBay. No use putting things into many lists if you can't see them all at once. They get lost. What is the world coming to? 😉

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW! I just tried it, and it works like magic in Acrobat 7! I didn't have to use a "deskew" function, only converted it to searchable text, and it is just as clear as the original - identical to it, in fact - but straight! I hate to assemble it all over again, but will extract the noticeably skewed pages, deskew them this way, and replace them. Thanks! (And my next version will be 9; I will avoid DC. My Reader is DC, but it ends there.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We're experiencing the exact same issue in 2022! Version 2022.001.20117!  

Once upon a time, the enhance function used to work.  Now - it does not, at least not properly.  I deskewed 1 out of 3 pages of a scanned document - but much like the original post, it failed on the 2 form pages (some text, mostly blank grid spaces to be filled in) that were badly skewed.  

I did find a solution though - when I opened the "Edit PDF" tool, it rescanned the document, ran OCR and deskewed all pages correctly.  ADOBE - why can't your enhance scan tool work??  

This shouldn't have 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with the "Enhance" option for me is that it doesn't enhance the text image, but makes it remarkably worse, even choosing the highest quality jpeg.

Recognize Text will deskew if you choose the option to make it Editable Text and Imagess in the settings for Recognize text.  You can also deskew a page at a time if you click on the Edit PDF tool. It will then apply deskewing to every page you scroll to.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines