How do I uninstall McAfee Security Scan Plus?

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I uninstall the McAfee Security Scan Plus software Adobe Acrobat DC installed without my permission on Windows 10?

The Uninstall option is grayed out in Windows Settings -> Apps & Features. McAfee keeps popping up telling me I have a "potential" security threat and won't tell me what it is and directs me to the McAfee website to purchase it. Seems like a marketing scam to me. I don't appreciate Adobe doing this. 

Carlos2463214010rx_0-1653674052322.png

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run the tool, restart my computer and it's still there and still pops up with marketing alerts to SCAM me to buy the software to remove a "potential threat" in which it never says what it is exactly. After decades of working in IT and trusting Adobe products, I'm disappointed that Adobe would trick its users like this. Not happy!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is more of an issue of McAfee and how they do things, but I agree that Adobe should not be pushing this sub-par application on its users.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try run->appwiz.cpl
Find McAfee Security Scan Plus on the list of programs and right-click, select remove/uninstall

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had this problem and after reading several complex solutions that included multiple reoboots and manually editing the Windows registry, I stumbled across this simple solution:

1) In the search bar next to the Windows icon, type in 'mcafee' (yes, lower case).

2) A list of your apps should come up, but under a file tree different than the standard uninstall control panel.

3) Click on Mcafee Security Scan Plus, and the uninstall button should magically appear.

4) Click uninstall, and the program should now be removed.

5) Finally, go back to the search bar and again type 'mcafee' - a shortcut remains which can now be removed as well.

Hope this works for you too!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
12 hours ago 12 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much. Your simple but hard to find solution worked for me. There are lots of programs offered on the web to solve this problem but I believed the medications would be worse than the disease. The unwanted McAfee program poured into my system while downloading Adobe Acrobat. I lost hours trying to get help from Adobe chats without success. I was a loyal Adobe Premiere customer until this incident. I will now move away from all Adobe products. I am now making my first tutorial to use the free version of Da Vinci Resolve  Editor from Blackmagic

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines