How do I uninstall the McAfee Security Scan Plus software Adobe Acrobat DC installed without my permission on Windows 10?
The Uninstall option is grayed out in Windows Settings -> Apps & Features. McAfee keeps popping up telling me I have a "potential" security threat and won't tell me what it is and directs me to the McAfee website to purchase it. Seems like a marketing scam to me. I don't appreciate Adobe doing this.
I run the tool, restart my computer and it's still there and still pops up with marketing alerts to SCAM me to buy the software to remove a "potential threat" in which it never says what it is exactly. After decades of working in IT and trusting Adobe products, I'm disappointed that Adobe would trick its users like this. Not happy!
I think this is more of an issue of McAfee and how they do things, but I agree that Adobe should not be pushing this sub-par application on its users.
Find McAfee Security Scan Plus on the list of programs and right-click, select remove/uninstall
I too had this problem and after reading several complex solutions that included multiple reoboots and manually editing the Windows registry, I stumbled across this simple solution:
1) In the search bar next to the Windows icon, type in 'mcafee' (yes, lower case).
2) A list of your apps should come up, but under a file tree different than the standard uninstall control panel.
3) Click on Mcafee Security Scan Plus, and the uninstall button should magically appear.
4) Click uninstall, and the program should now be removed.
5) Finally, go back to the search bar and again type 'mcafee' - a shortcut remains which can now be removed as well.
Hope this works for you too!
Thank you very much. Your simple but hard to find solution worked for me. There are lots of programs offered on the web to solve this problem but I believed the medications would be worse than the disease. The unwanted McAfee program poured into my system while downloading Adobe Acrobat. I lost hours trying to get help from Adobe chats without success. I was a loyal Adobe Premiere customer until this incident. I will now move away from all Adobe products. I am now making my first tutorial to use the free version of Da Vinci Resolve Editor from Blackmagic