• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to keep vibrancy of colors when converting from RGB to CMYK in pdf?

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

So, I'm trying to print some pdf documents that I was given, and I discovered that they were using an RGB color profile instead of CMYK. For the majority of the documents, the colors look the same when I convert them, but for some of the documents that have some more vibrant colors (a very vibrant blue), they become much duller. I've been using this tutorial from Adobe on how to convert RGB to CMYK but I don't see anything on maintaining vibrancy: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/color-conversion-ink-management-acrobat.html 

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The real problem is that the gamut (i.e., range of colors) supported by typical printing CMYK color spaces is much smaller than the range of RGB colors that you can see on a computer monitor. Examples of such colors are the bright blues and bright greens you often see in office graphics. Ultimately, if you really need to maintain such vibrancy of colors, you must end of with a n-color printing process, CMYK plus additional colorants (bright green and orange, for example). Typically for such prin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real problem is that the gamut (i.e., range of colors) supported by typical printing CMYK color spaces is much smaller than the range of RGB colors that you can see on a computer monitor. Examples of such colors are the bright blues and bright greens you often see in office graphics. Ultimately, if you really need to maintain such vibrancy of colors, you must end of with a n-color printing process, CMYK plus additional colorants (bright green and orange, for example). Typically for such printing, you keep the colors in an ICC color managed workspace and let the printer's RIP do the color conversions as necessary to the n-colors.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you for responding!

So, with these documents is there any way to put the colors in an ICC color profile in Acrobat, so that the printing job maintains vibrancy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please re-read my response. The problem is that standard CMYK printing simply cannot reproduce those intense colors! Sorry!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dov, 

I'm having problems with my Magenta printing as vibrantly in the CMYK space. 

Things are coming out with a slight green tint.  Glorious Colorado sunsets loose the pink purple. 

Interior architectural spaces look like bad LED lighting.

What might you suggest other than matching the printers specificCMYK color space properties? 

Should I drop green out of my images in photoshop ? 

And then just try printing until I get it right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines