• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Make PDF default Adobe Acrobat X Pro instead of Adobe Reader DC

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some stupid website I use regularly forced me to "update" my Reader to Adobe Reader DC, but I have a fully licensed full version of Adobe Acrobat X Pro. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any place to reset my default for opening PDF files back to Adobe Acrobat X Pro. When I go into Windows 10 settings and select Pro as the default instead of Reader DC, it does not change the icon, nor does it change the default action. I cannot uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC because of websites I use that require it (unless you know of some way to trick them into beliving X Pro is OK), but I can't stand having PDF's opened with the Reader by default, and then I can't do anything with them, so need to manually open them from within X Pro. Any ideas or solutions would be a HUGE help. Thanks in advance for any help!!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share an answer I discovered.  After setting defaults for PDFs in Windows settings, launch Adobe Pro.  Go to Edit, Preferences, General and scroll down to "Default PDF Handler."  Change that value to Adobe Pro.  The system will go through what looks like an install process, then it will want to reboot.  

After rebooting, PDF files open with Acrobat Pro rather than Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe don't support mixed versions. You can upgrade to Acrobat Pro DC, perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, but they can't upgrade. There's no upgrade path from X to DC. They'll need to purchase a new license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe give this routine a try...

Without Reader or Acrobat open, locate a PDF file in a folder, and right-click on it.  From the options presented, choose Open with, and jump down to the bottom where the Choose another app options sits.

rclick1.png

Choose your Acrobat program, and be sure to select the 'Always use this app to open .pdf files' option. 

rclick2.jpg

Hopefully this will help.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd share an answer I discovered.  After setting defaults for PDFs in Windows settings, launch Adobe Pro.  Go to Edit, Preferences, General and scroll down to "Default PDF Handler."  Change that value to Adobe Pro.  The system will go through what looks like an install process, then it will want to reboot.  

After rebooting, PDF files open with Acrobat Pro rather than Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very useful!! I was search this for hours and I found your comment, thanks for sharing your experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that, but the "Default PDF Handler" button is greyed out.  Still trying to figure out a way to make acrobat X pro my default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same the PDF Handler is grayed out when Reader DC is installed. After uninstalling DC it came back as an option. Without DC installed Acrobat X pro works fine and one can change via normal "open with" options to make PDF files default to different things and back. Once DC is installed, it somehow overrides and blocks all the older Adobe X pro software, though the X pro software still opens fine on its own via the now icon missing shortcut or exe open, with both installed. DC blocks it from becoming a default application. 

In the previous version of windows I edited the registry myself. I was hoping for a simple windows driven method, but it appears Adobe made it worse by blocking all windows based options with DC and forcefully blocked backwards compatibility therein. I’m sure Adobe has a made up excuse as to why, which just per the other comment about new licenses means they just want more money of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way that worked for me. Be very careful when modifying your registry. Like a dump truck on the interstate, I am not responsible for broken Windows.

1. Run regedit as an administrator.
  2. Find the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Acrobat.Document.DC\shell\Open\command key.
  3. The value of the (Default) value you see on the right will be something along the lines of
    "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
    which you will want to change to point to your Acrobat Pro X or XI install instead. It should look something like this:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"
    Where the quotes are positioned and the "%1" are very important. Be very careful with your modification.
  4. Close regedit and try double clicking a PDF now. It should open in Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me.  Many Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works!
This is the way to go! 
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2023 Aug 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have X pro and added Reader DC to help a friend with signing a pdf, only to find afterwards the file assocations  had changed.

Read your post and voila!! Fantastic!! Nothing else had worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YESSS!!!  This worked for me, unlike the recommendations from Microsoft and Adobe.  Thank you, BeckoningChasm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It's amazing that this simole procedure is so hard to discover.

Thank you again  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this suggestion: checked "Always use this app..." and carefully navigated to my Adobe X Pro app in Program Files x86, but when I select the app and click "Open", the document opens with Reader DC. Trying to set the "Default Handler" from within Acrobat X Pro is not possible b/c that button is greyed out. Does anyone have the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BeckoningChasm, you are a godsend! Thank you very much, it worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this was most helpful--I was having the same issue!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines