• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set a PDF expiry date ?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a common problem and I cannot find an answer.

I send out a lot of sensitive docs in PDF form that I would like to ensure are not able to be open or read after a certain time.  How do I achieve that ?

I have a subscription to the Document Cloud.

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

DRM (“Digital Rights Management”) is not a built-in tool in Acrobat or Reader. There are (typically very expensive) third party tools for this that most often require an administrative server. That having been said, PDF files using such “protection” may not necessarily be protected or be even readable in non-Adobe PDF viewers.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DRM protection is the only reliable way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is DRM an inbuilt feature of the product or it a 3rd party tool/product ? If 3rd party can you recommend a product to accomplish this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DRM (“Digital Rights Management”) is not a built-in tool in Acrobat or Reader. There are (typically very expensive) third party tools for this that most often require an administrative server. That having been said, PDF files using such “protection” may not necessarily be protected or be even readable in non-Adobe PDF viewers.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thank you - seems crazy to me that this type of thing isn't baked into the basic product.  I certainly don't want to add complexity or hassle for my document recipients.   Ugh !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is impossible to really “bake this into the basic product” since it involves a serious amount of expensive, complex software that is beyond the scope of a desktop product. (Adobe does have a server-based DRM produce, LiveCycle, but it is very expensive and complex to deploy.)

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expiring PDF documents would be a game-changer for a lot of people in a lot of industries. It is not impossible, just tricky. Spotify, Apple Music, all the streaming services do this.

It would be useful for training companies and anyone else selling intellectual property to be able to grant a license to content that expires and can be renewed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further evidence of this being possible: if I stop paying for Creative Cloud, it stops working... we would like the same capability... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one said it can't be done. In fact, it already exists (it's called DRM, see above in this thread), it just costs a lot of money to implement it, the same as it costs a lot of money to do it for a piece of software, or any other type of digital asset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov Isaacs, so you mean to tell me that People have gone to the Moon, sent space probes to Mars, and put a Tesla in orbit of Earth but this is IMPOSSIBLE?

I'm not sure what country you're from, BUT in America, "impossible" doesn't exist. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is also this solution:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Lite-Document-Security-Description.cfm

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While DRM is the only reliable way to do this, there are some low bar solutions that you can use to basically keep honest, or non-developer from using the file past a specific date.

Such as the lite security technique shown on this example PDF:Search Downloads

This sample is behind a subscription site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom, could you provide me some insights or links to information on how to do the "low bar solution" that you mentioned?   Thanks much...   Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a page describing the downloadable PDF file that is both a sample of the technique and a tutorial on it.

You have to be a member to gain access to it.  

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/Lite-Document-Security-Description.cfm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend no one use this website. See my review of it here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat/how-to-prevent-pdf-files-save-locally-or-forward-the-to-anyon...

In short, the protection it offers is easily overcome and it is not clear who (or what) is behind it, that you're giving access to your sensitive files to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines