Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off Automatic OCR in PDF Edit 2023

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This topic has arisen before, but the solutions I found aren't working for me with the current version of Acrobat Pro.

I assemble graphic novels - the latest one I'm working on has a problem with OCR as the cover page is being tilted when I don't want it to be (image 1 - red outlines indicate where the image has been tilted, creating a white edges that should not be there)

I went into the "Scan & OCR/Enhance scanned file" setting and unchecked "Recognize Text" - but the page is still being tilted. (image 2)

I saw advice that I can turn off "Recognize Text" via the right side panel using the "Scanned Documents" tab - but I don't have a "Scanned Documents" tab (image 3)

Final image is the version I'm using for reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

01_tilt.jpg02_ocr_off.jpg03_side-panels.jpg04_version.jpg

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Hi @danbergerink 

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

The OCR process is turned on by default. When you open a scanned document for editing, the current page is converted to editable text. As you scroll, the page in focus becomes editable. You can disable the automatic OCR option if you don't want to convert your scanned documents to editable text.

1. Choose Edit > Text.

2. To turn off automatic OCR, deselect the Recognize text option in the right pane. Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

The only solution I found is 1st create any pdf file from images with text. then you can disable the "recognized scan text"

create.jpg

create2.jpg

create3.jpg

create4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Dwayne23403060scc6's answer is the only one answering the question of how to turn off by default this terrible automatic option. Don't forget to first close acrobat then change the setting in the registry (launch regedit then navigate to the key indicated, then change the value). Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. I don't suppose you could explain to us old folks how to enter commands like this? I'm not sure I understand what is meant by "Windows 10 Registry Key"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chad Kirk Nielson 

To add the key to the windows registry quickly you can perform either of the following:

From Command Prompt run the following: (Click Windows Start menu and type CMD)

REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\PaperCapturePlugin" /v bEnableTextEditingScannedDocument /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

OR

From Powershell run the following: (Click Windows start menu and type: Powershell)

New-ItemProperty "Registry::\HKCU\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\PaperCapturePlugin" -Name "bEnableTextEditingScannedDocument" -PropertyType DWORD -Value 1 -Force

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This answer is A BOGUS. 

The correct answer provided by @Dwayne23403060scc6 

I canceled my purchase just because this "disaster". The damned adobe couldn't even recognize the language or the letter, and just destroyed the background picture with no way to get it back because they forced something that they couldn't do. No matter what I did, the image just destroyed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution DOES NOT work in the current version of Acrobat. The company I work for uses JPEGs exported out of Illustrator to make PDFs. This is a standard. I do NOT have the power to change this. The automated OCR feature is distorting and altering the layout of my documents. I NEED to be able to turn it off by default. This isn't a want, it's a need. This is making my job much harder.

The instructions given here and recommended by Adobe DO NOT WORK for the current version of Acrobat. The menu commands and locations ARE NOT PRESENT in the current version of Acrobat. Therefore, these instructions, DO NOT WORK AND ARE INCORRECT. Please see the attached screen shots to see that the listed locations in the instructions are WRONG.

As you can see in the image, If you click EDIT in the menu bar, there is no listing for "TEXT" given. Nothing in that menu matches the instructions given here by Adobe. If you open up the EDIT sidebar, there is no listing for "TEXT" and there is nothing in the sidebar that matches those instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the "Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 1.12.44 PM.png" image, there's a little settings gear just above and to the right "FORMAT TEXT".  Should be that button that takes you to the text recognition settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it should, but it does not, as already illustrated in Jan 2024 of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does. At least it works on my computer as it should and is expected to work.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution I found is 1st create any pdf file from images with text. then you can disable the "recognized scan text"

create.jpg

create2.jpg

create3.jpg

create4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work my recognise scanned text box is unticked and greyed out but it still OCR scans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe for:
1. For making me look stupid in the eyes of my client by auto rotating elements in my image based pdf without even telling me.

2. Making this feature almost impossible to turn off.

3. Wasting hours of my time in trying to find a solution.

Genius.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines