Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off Automatic OCR in PDF Edit 2023

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This topic has arisen before, but the solutions I found aren't working for me with the current version of Acrobat Pro.

I assemble graphic novels - the latest one I'm working on has a problem with OCR as the cover page is being tilted when I don't want it to be (image 1 - red outlines indicate where the image has been tilted, creating a white edges that should not be there)

I went into the "Scan & OCR/Enhance scanned file" setting and unchecked "Recognize Text" - but the page is still being tilted. (image 2)

I saw advice that I can turn off "Recognize Text" via the right side panel using the "Scanned Documents" tab - but I don't have a "Scanned Documents" tab (image 3)

Final image is the version I'm using for reference.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

01_tilt.jpg02_ocr_off.jpg03_side-panels.jpg04_version.jpg

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Hi @danbergerink 

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

The OCR process is turned on by default. When you open a scanned document for editing, the current page is converted to editable text. As you scroll, the page in focus becomes editable. You can disable the automatic OCR option if you don't want to convert your scanned documents to editable text.

1. Choose Edit > Text.

2. To turn off automatic OCR, deselect the Recognize text option in the right pane. Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

The only solution I found is 1st create any pdf file from images with text. then you can disable the "recognized scan text"

create.jpg

create2.jpg

create3.jpg

create4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Dwayne23403060scc6's answer is the only one answering the question of how to turn off by default this terrible automatic option. Don't forget to first close acrobat then change the setting in the registry (launch regedit then navigate to the key indicated, then change the value). Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @danbergerink 

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

The OCR process is turned on by default. When you open a scanned document for editing, the current page is converted to editable text. As you scroll, the page in focus becomes editable. You can disable the automatic OCR option if you don't want to convert your scanned documents to editable text.

1. Choose Edit > Text.

2. To turn off automatic OCR, deselect the Recognize text option in the right pane. Acrobat won't automatically run OCR the next time you open the document for editing.

For more information, please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/edit-scanned-pdfs.html?screen=modern#

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To turn off Auto OCR, Click to the 'Edit' Pane, then click the 'Edit settings' button, then uncheck 'Recognize scanned text'

adobe auto ocr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What he is trying to say is the same problem I am having, the original suggestion does not work. When you go to edit > text the "recognize scanned text" is greyed out. I cannot stop Adobe from trying to OCR everything every time I open it and it's driving me nuts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very well hidden. Good job, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is [moderator deleted inappropriate words]!!  click on anything in edit  with this function on   and it juyst freeezes. i cant get to a point to turn the option off!!!!!!  WHY CANT THE DEFAULT BE OFF!!!!!!!!!!!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your OS and version and what is your Acrobat version?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AND  IF IT FINALLY STOPPS TRYING TO FIUND TEXT TE OIPTION IS GREY OUT AND I CANT CHANGE IT ANYWAY!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don't shout and check your writing before submitting. Your text is difficult to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,  Really frustrated. 

windows 11, Acrbat Pro 23 , eventually got it to turn off.  but every time i tried as soon as i clicked edit it would automatically  start recognising text. i eventually loaded an image with no text and it worked.  does not help when adobe products are so slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that page has no information on how to stop this feature automatically recognising text. I want to turn this feature off but it is unclear on how to do it. How can I do it please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS THE WORST "INNOVATION" YOU'VE EVER DONE SO FAR. IT'S REALLY, REALLY, ANNOYING!!! YOUR SOFTWARE JUST KEEPS ROTATING MY GRAPHIC DOCUMENTS, WHICH DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TEXT AT ALL. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DISABLE, A) IT'S GRAYED OUT, WITH NO OPTION TO DISABLE. OR B)WHEN YOU ARE ACTUALLY ABLE TO DISABLE, YOU REOPEN ANOTHER DOCUMENT, AND IT DOES IT AGAIN!!! REALLY, REALLY MAD AND ANNOYED, ALL THIS LAST MONTHS..!!!!! :S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive please download it to your computer locally and then try again.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.08.20470 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and see if that helps.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Amal, I'm not the OP, but it very much is every PDF file I try to use. I work for a company that uses JPEGs for presentations, and we do not need the OCR function. I need to just turn it off altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remove this "super duper cool" feature. It's absolutely useless. I hate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@OoBlAd3oO,

Just a little tip: all caps is very difficult to read. You should avoid that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, please unmark this as the correct answer. As many of us have already illustrated, it is incorrect.
Your answers are polluting google search results of many many frustrated users asking how to fix this.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This was marked as correct back in 2023.

I have also tried to reproduce the issue at my end and I am able to turn on/off the automatic OCR using the steps:

1. Open any scanned PDF
  2. Go to Edit > click on the gear icon in the upper corner
  3. Check/Uncheck the option to 'Recognize the Scanned text'

Amal_0-1711539308293.png

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but this option is disabled on my version and can't be unticked. I'm still facing this really annoying problem, I never had this in CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but this option is disabled on my version and can't be unticked. I'm still facing this really annoying problem, I never had this in CS3.

By @Graham34396962ynmx

What is your Acrobat version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the automatic OCR turned off also. And that works fine for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still NOT Working......................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 Registry Key to Enable/Disable:

HKCU\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\PaperCapturePlugin\

[DWORD] bEnableTextEditingScannedDocument

Disabled: 0x00000000

Enabled: 0x00000001 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dwayne23403060scc6's answer is the only one answering the question of how to turn off by default this terrible automatic option. Don't forget to first close acrobat then change the setting in the registry (launch regedit then navigate to the key indicated, then change the value). Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines