• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't save/print a secured PDF - Tools is greyed out, so I can't remove security settings

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something a bit weird is going on with my Abode Acrobat Pro DC access. I am sure I used to be able to just open a document by clicking on it in Recent. Now I can't. When I do get it open, I don't have the "Manage" option on the right. I can't save a downloaded copy because it is secured. When I try to remove security settings, all my options (except Certificate) in Tools are blacked out. I'm sure I have never even had to _think_ about how this works before, so I think something is different.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like the file is signed. What do you see under the Signatures panel on the left hand side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is signed. How do I download and print the signed copy? Is the only copy that I can do anything externally to Adobe with, the one that has been emailed to me as complete? It seems very wierd that me (having sent it out from my Adobe account to be signed) can't then access it and use it from my Adobe account afterwards. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can not modify a signed file. That's a major part of using a digital signature. If you can't print it that means the author applied a security policy that prevents printing, and then signed it. Sorry, but there's nothing you can about it. Of course, you are able to download it. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to open it at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the author! I don't think I applied a no-printing to it (and this is happening to several documents). All I want to do is to be able to move it around (with signature authentifications) and _file_ it locally, outside of Adobe, now it is signed. How do I do this? When I "download it" (which I think is viewing a version in the Cloud) I can't do anything with it other than look at it where it is, in Adobe (I can't save, hence I was trying to print as PDF instead). So is the only version of the document that I can do anything with, the one that is emailed to me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you signed it then you can also remove the signature. Right-click it in the Signature panel and select Clear Signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. But I want the signature there. I just want to file a signed copy locally (and not have to do it through the verion that came through Outlook).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you deleted the original document after send it for signing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the original document that I want to take out of Adobe. It's the signed one. The answer might be that I simply cannot do anything with the signed document version that is in Adobe and I can only do anything with the separately sent PDF which I received by Outlook/email. But that seems madness because it's _my_ Adobe account that is in control of the signature process and what happens, say, if that email gets stopped etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should say though, yes, it does look as though I deleted the original unsigned PDF once it was in the process of circulation. Is this the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clicking on it in Recent will not work when you have deleted the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thanks, that's useful to know. I was being too tidy. I think I assumed that the "agreement" that is signed (and appears newly in Recent list) was also a document in its own right, but obviously not. Thanks for the help. I'll guess I'll just have to leave more files in Adobe for longer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines