• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a PDF Printer Driver available for MAC?

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am used to creating separations in Illlustrator on a Windows PC.  I switched to MAC, and I cannot figure out how to print a PDF so that I can separate my screens for printing.  Is there a PDF Driver to install for MAC?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

No, not anymore.

Apple changed MacOS to prohibit such drivers.

The only thing close would be to save an Illustrator file as PostScript or print to a file and manually distill it.

Note that pre-separated PDF (i.e. each process separation is on a separate PDF page) is not considered a recommended workflow. No modern RIP requires or recommends this type of workflow for any number of good reasons which can be discussed elsewhere!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not anymore.

Apple changed MacOS to prohibit such drivers.

The only thing close would be to save an Illustrator file as PostScript or print to a file and manually distill it.

Note that pre-separated PDF (i.e. each process separation is on a separate PDF page) is not considered a recommended workflow. No modern RIP requires or recommends this type of workflow for any number of good reasons which can be discussed elsewhere!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is a bit after the fact, but for the record if anyone else come searching.

No 3rd party PDF driver needed (or prohibited). It is built-in and free.

That is the main reason you won't find too many apps for it. Why re-invent the [free] wheel

Go to print dialog, select PDF drop down lower left corner.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 7.19.54 pm.png

Also documented here: macOS Sierra: Save a document as a PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2018 Aug 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but you can't make separations with it, so it doesn't solve the issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This only works for apps that use MacOS's built-in print dialog.

Apps like Adobe Reader use their own custom printer dialog.  And since Adobe Reader's duplex print options is broken for some printers on Mac (and Adobe keeps on deflecting by blaming manufacturer's driver), printing to a PDF driver seems the only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using an app called "PDF Printer" that I downloaded from the Apple App Store. It enables me to print to PDF like before in Mac OS X (before Apple removed such functionality).  There's a free version that limits you to an output of 1 or 2 pages, and a full version that cost $19.99

Note: I'm currently running macOS Sierra and all works fine.

Not sure if this will get you everything you need in terms of print options, but its worth a try!

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines