• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a quick way to name the fields?

Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When we have hundreds and maybe thousands of fields in a form? Is there a way to name them quickly?

Especially when I want to give the fields specific names, not random ones.
for example:

QDM_S_BE_1

QDM_S_BE_2

QDM_S_BE_3

QDM_S_BE_4

QDM_S_BE_900 ... etc

Is there any trick so save the time?

SaherNaji_0-1670538473313.png

Thank you

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Yes and No.

NO, there is no built-in feature for mass naming of fields. I've often thought of writing a plug-in to do this, because I have to do it quite a bit. Although not thousands of fields. Right now you're only option is to do this by hand or write an Acrobat Automation Script to do it. 

Yes, there is a way to effectively rename fields with a script. Basically, the script acquires all the properties of a field, deletes  it, then recreates it with a new name.  Not particulary efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and No.

NO, there is no built-in feature for mass naming of fields. I've often thought of writing a plug-in to do this, because I have to do it quite a bit. Although not thousands of fields. Right now you're only option is to do this by hand or write an Acrobat Automation Script to do it. 

Yes, there is a way to effectively rename fields with a script. Basically, the script acquires all the properties of a field, deletes  it, then recreates it with a new name.  Not particulary efficient. Of course the difficulty is working out the scheme for attaching a particular field name to a particular field.   But if there are thousands, then it's well worth while to spend the development time.

Another solution is to create a spread sheet of the field names, properties, and placement information. Then feed this data into an Acrobat automation script that creates the fields. If names change, then the old fields are deleted and new fields added with the same script. This method works if it is easier to write an Excel macro for creating the field data than it is to write an Acrobat script to add all of the fields from scratch. Plus the spreadsheet is a solid record of the fields.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Thom Parker

Great information.

I think creating spreadsheet is a very good solution (with some macros and tricks)

Also I will read about writing an Acrobat Automation Script.

Thanks again, your reply is amazing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're interested, I've developed several (paid-for) tools that can accomplish it:

https://www.try67.com/tool/easily-rename-pdf-fields

As mentioned, when done in Acrobat the only way to do it is to delete the current fields and then re-create them using the new name. Unfortunately, in doing so all associated scripts are lost, but the properties of the fields can be (mostly) maintained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @try67 

This will be great, Could I use $10 version to name the fields like this: S_1, S_2, S_3, or S.1, S.2, S.3, OR, S1, S2, S3

I mean in this example, could I control the separator? ( _ , . ) 

Is there a short video to exaplain how to use it?

It will be a great tool, but I have to make sure about how it's working before I purchase

Thanks a lot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends. If the original field names do not have periods in them, then yes. You can specify whatever (new) field name you want. To discuss it further please contact me privately. I'm happy to run the script on a sample file for you and send you back the results, before you purchase it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the first field with all its options, then right-click : Create multiple copies.

All fields are automatically named.

Capture_2211031518.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you can't control how they are named, it's automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @JR Boulay

Great idea to create and arrange fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With practice and a little trickery you can do amazing things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're right, but the whole problem was giving (specific names) to hundreds or thousands of fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines