• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep comment list open, or hotkey?

Engaged ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I get the Comments list to be open by default whenever there are comments in a document (or all the time, if conditional is too hard)? I open lots of documents that contain comments, and I always want to see the list, but it's annoying to always have to select View -> Tools -> Comment -> Open every time.

Or at least is there a way to set a hotkey for the opening of that pane? That would be better than a 4-layer-deep menu item.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

I meant the Tools button next to Home, just above the toolbar and below the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, but why are you using this long route? Simply click the Comment button at the top-right hand side of the window and the panel will open, with the comments list at the bottom of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Comment button that I can find. This is a screenshot of Acrobat right after opening one of the files that has comments I want to read (each of those yellow highlights represents a comment from the proofreaders). What button are you referring to?

Acrobat screenshot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, it's Acrobat DC... Look under Tools, then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version were you expecting?

Anyway, if "look under Tools" means the menu item View -> Tools, then that's what I do now, but it gets tiresome:

Acrobat comment menu item.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant the Tools button next to Home, just above the toolbar and below the menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I was looking right past that! Yeah, that's much better than the menu dance. It would still be nice to have it open by default, but until Adobe sees fit to offer than as an option, this is more tolerable. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something worth trying: Open the Tools pane (or even the Comment List) and then go to Edit - Preferences - Documents and tick the "Remember current state of Tools Pane" box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DC doesn't seem to have that setting. There is something called "Restore last view setting when reopening documents", but it doesn't seem to do what it sounds like it says. Anyway, that sort of setting won't help me much, as I'm normally opening different documents with comments, not the same one over and over. But thanks for brainstorming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not the same thing... Are you on the Classic track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had never even heard that term before you said it - although I have now looked it up, I'm not sure I fully understand yet. Anyway, the answer is no, I'm on the Continuous Track. "About Adobe Acrobat Pro DC" says: 2015 Release (Continuous) Version 2015.023.20070

When I first upgraded to DC I hated it - too much changed and too much of the new features had to do with the online aspects that I'm not using. It has been awhile, so I'm kinda used to it at this point although still not really adept at its use. I might like Classic better, but all the references to Classic Track on discussion forums and such seem to infer some sort of enterprise subscription. I am an individual who is paying out-of-pocket for a CC license (a bit painful at $50/month as most of my work is volunteer, but I don't have much choice as I'm collaborating with others who are using InDesign CC; and I use other software from time to time, like Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, and Audition, so I can't just do the single application version). Does that mean I don't have a choice about track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a CC license then I'm not sure you can get one for the Classic track of Acrobat under the same account.

However, I believe this feature is only available in the Continuous track anyway, so that won't solve your issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resurrecting my old thread...

I just stumbled across "Actions", and thought it might have potential for this little annoyance of mine. I created an Action to apply to the Dropbox folder where the documents with comments are always placed, and added the tool "Comment". But it does nothing automatically when a file is opened.

So then I tried applying the Action simply to the currently opened file instead of a folder, hoping there might be a way to attach a hotkey to it. But alas, that does not appear possible - to run an Action, you apparently have to click Tools, scroll way down to the bottom, click Action Wizard, click the Action you want, then click Start. Obviously that is harder than the way I've been doing it, not easier.

Is there a way to have an Action automatically run when a file is opened, or a way to assign a hotkey to it so you don't have to go find the Action Wizard? Or if Actions is barking up the wrong tree, is there some other new feature since last year's conversation that will allow me to get to that Comments List in some more automated way? It seems so logical to me to offer a Preferences checkbox like, "Always open Comments List whenever a file with comments is opened", but maybe it's not logical to Adobe decision-makers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can ask Adobe for the ability to set your own keyboard shortcuts here: Provide option to customize keyboard shortcuts – Share your feedback on Acrobat DC

Please vote for this preference to open comments pane automatically: Add option to make comment pane open automatically if there are comments – Share your feedback on Ac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I voted and commented on the second one you cited, but although the title sounds like exactly what I want, the description is different, talking about the Initial View setting for a document. That's not really what I want, as it puts the burden on the person who creates the PDF and forces that view on everyone, not just those who want it.

I decided to add my idea as a new request, but in the process discovered that someone else already did and it was declined! See: setting to open sidebar with comments by default – Share your feedback on Acrobat DC  So I suppose there's no point in posting an additional suggestion of the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. Did this ever get solved? I really thought at my previous job, the Comment list always opened and that is what I would also like without having to click the word Comment in the shortcut list on the right. I have tried lots of the options under Preferences/Commenting and as stated above "restore last view..." in the Documents preferences that seem like they should work and don't. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines