• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep losing text even after saving the file every few minutes.

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I have created a PDF file...I have been trying to work on it in multiple sessions. Every time I close the file (after saving) and come back to it. The file has missing lines, half the text is missing ..and footers are completely lost.

Not sure what is happening? it's making me crazy.

Any help appreciated,

Regards

Nena

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Hi Nena,

ok, I’m guessing here but I think that it’s because of the way you‘re using Acrobat.

Edit it is to edit, not create. Because you are adding text by copying and pasting from word, the font is not being embedded into the document and I think that that might be why things are somewhat flaky.

Acrobat is for digital printing, not digital creation. Editing is for minor adjustments when you do not have access to the original application or document.

Which brings me me to my next question: why a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nena,

Hmm, interesting problem. I have questions.

The basics: What is your OS (and what release number)? What version of Acrobat are you using (and what release number)?

Now the specifics: what kind of work are you doing to this document and which tab are you using (Edit, Comment, Organize Pages, etc.)?

Lastly, exactly what is your workflow when doing what you're doing?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

Let me try to answer your question :

1. What is your OS (and what release number)? Windows 10 home Version 1903 OS Build 18362.239

2 What version of Acrobat are you using (and what release number)? Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Continuous release Version 2019 .012.20035

3 what kind of work are you doing to this document and which tab are you using (Edit, Comment, Organize Pages, etc.)

I am using the edit tab only. I have copied and pasted some text from a word doc into text box.

As far as workflow: I trying to create some data sheets ..with header and footers and simple text box with some images inserted.

The footer has black band across the bottom of the page  and on top of the band I put test box and white colour text, so it can be seen. I save it and when I re-open the doc...that's one of the things missing.  I put in a text box with company information.( Only the text ) Some not all text through out the document disappears leaving blank text boxes.

I hope this answers everything. Again ,thank you for your help.

Nena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attaching a screen shot to show what happensCapture.PNG

Regards,

Nena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nena,

ok, I’m guessing here but I think that it’s because of the way you‘re using Acrobat.

Edit it is to edit, not create. Because you are adding text by copying and pasting from word, the font is not being embedded into the document and I think that that might be why things are somewhat flaky.

Acrobat is for digital printing, not digital creation. Editing is for minor adjustments when you do not have access to the original application or document.

Which brings me me to my next question: why are you creating in Acrobat? Do you have access to the original application?

let me know

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gary,

I am not using it to create, but to edit the document.. I am doing a little bit more editing than I originally planned

After much frustration, I have returned to Microsoft word, and re-creating a brand new version.

Gary, Which program do you recommend for editing original PDF documents.

I do have access to adobe creative cloud.

Thanks , so much for your help today.

Regards,

Nena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there's "editing" and "EDITING."

From what I'm reading, you're making major changes to the document. Copying and pasting from other sources into the document is well beyond editing (at least as far as Acrobat is concerned.

Editing in Acrobat is when you're changing a month from "February" to "March" or something subtle as that.

You'll note that when you change text in a line that ends with a hyphen, the hyphen remains after the word wrap. Ergo some of the limitations inherent in extreme editing in Acrobat.

You are absolutely correct to go back to Word (or whatever the creation application was), do whatever editing you need to do, and then recreate your PDF.

FWIW, I do this all the time. In my case I do a newsletter for my local woodworking group. After initial creation and generation of the PDF, I look through the PDF for things that need correction. This can be a few words here or there, or arrangements of images on the page or separation lines between articles. Just about every change I make "could" be done in Acrobat but I do them back in InDesign because (a) it's easier, and (b) I'm less likely to have issues with the PDF.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks again for your help, I have been able to move ahead with MS Word.

Kind regards,

Nena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if you are trying to use Acrobat to actually make up a document. Please don't! That's not what it's for. Just use Word or whatever you prefer, and convert to PDF. For every change go back to that original document and remake the PDF.

The editor in Acrobat is for use as a desperate last resort when the original is lost and the backups were eaten by crocodiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not recommend ANY program for editing PDF documents. PDFs are just not made for it. Kudos to Adobe's marketing department for trying to convince us otherwise. It should never be necessary to recreate a Word document, it is vital to KEEP all original documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines