• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Letters å, ä and ö disappears when copying text from Adobe Acrobat (Reader and Acrobat Pro)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of weeks ago a problem has started when I copy text from a PDF-file in Adobe Acrobat (Reader and Acrobat Pro). The swedish letters å, ä and ö disappears when I paste the text into InDesign, Mac Text Editor or any other text app. It leaves a blank space where those letters should be. It does not matter if the file is produced in Acrobat or if I open a PDF made in InDesign. The fonts do contain the letters å, ä and ö, because it's no problem when working in InDesign AND the letters are VISIBLE when looking at the file in Acrobat. Making a print file also works – the å, ä, ö letters are included. 

It feels that the problem must be in Acrobat since when I open exactly the same PDF-file in Mac OS preview app and copy the same text it works! At home I use a Mac Pro (late 2013) and Mac OS Big Sur (11.4) and at work I use an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) and Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6). Same problem despite different Mac computers and Mac OS and different versions of InDesign. But the Acrobat versions are the same, 2021.005.20048

I enclose a screenshot from Mac Text Editor to visualize how it looks. Hoping for a solution.Skärmavbild 2021-06-21 kl. 10.23.25.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Hi @Janne the Searcher 

Thanks for your time and for your cooperation on this.

Hope you are doing well.

The fix is available now with the latest update of Acrobat and Reader DC. Please install the latest update from the following link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousjunehotfix2... 

Download the setup, run it, reboot the machine (if possible) and check the app functionality. 

To know more about the latest update, you can refer to thi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed a known bug in the application that was introduced in the latest update. Either roll back to a previous version or wait for a new update to come along and fix it (hopefully)...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Janne

++ Adding to the discussion

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

We are aware of this issue and it is already reported to our engineering team to find the fix.

We will be sharing the update as soon as we will hear anything from them.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Janne the Searcher 

Thanks for your time and for your cooperation on this.

Hope you are doing well.

The fix is available now with the latest update of Acrobat and Reader DC. Please install the latest update from the following link: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/continuous/dccontinuousjunehotfix2... 

Download the setup, run it, reboot the machine (if possible) and check the app functionality. 

To know more about the latest update, you can refer to this article: 21.005.20054 Optional update, June 23, 2021

Let us know if you still experience any issues.

Regards,
Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated again today and now there is the SAME PROBLEM!!!

Letters Æ Ø Å is lost when copy from Acrobat 😞

What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Also impossible for me to install the suggested updates. What to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your exact version, Hakan? The update was 7 months ago, and so almost everyone now has that fix. There may be a new problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click the text and select Copy with Formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However... I have Acrobat Reader 21.011.20039, and it copies accented characters from a test PDF fine. Maybe someone can share a failing PDF for others to test. Perhaps it is not as simple as "cannot copy accents ever...".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have 21.011.20039, so I believe I have the most recent version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Centerpartiet l gger fram flera f rslag f r att lindra effekterna av de h ga drivmedelspriserna. Redan vid halv rsskiftet vill C s nka

skatten p  f rnybart br nsle, trots att det strider mot EU:s regler. Ett nytt reseavdrag som gynnar landsbygden ing r ocks  i paketet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share a failing file (not just the result of copying)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a direct copy/paste from the title line just under the picture

Centern lägger förslag för att sänka bränslepriserna

The accents seem complete. Since they aren't complete for you it is probably useful to know what is different. Please check with the same text (title line)

My setup:

- Windows 10 English

- Acrobat Reader English 2021.011.20039 (64-bit)

- Pasting into Microsoft Edge or Microsoft Notepad (both work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Mac user, pasting in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try pasting into a plain-text editor, not Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it works, but I really want it in Word...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very interesting. So it means it's a font issue. Does it work if you use the Paste as Text option in Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if I first "clean" it with txt. there is no problem pasting it into a Word-document. Å, Ä and Ö will follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works, but along comes citation marks and that is a bit annoying. Looks like this

"å, ä, ö"

Why the citation-marks?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, using a Mac (M1) I allready tried reinstalling it, cleaning the library/default setings. These characters do not even work with the "paste as text" option on different programs, or when i try to copy it to the search bar of my browser.

Any news on this? It is so annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree!

I had a chat with Acrobat few weeks ago. Ended up uninstall the new Acrobat and reinstall old one. Hope Acrobat soon will fix the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really do not like the ides of going back to old versions. That is not the way forward in life. I think Adobe should fix this ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines