• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My adobe Acrobat DC Pro installation using 55.9GB of disk space?

New Here ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I came across this while checking my programs installed. I have been having issues opening some PDF files from a Cloud service (BOX.com), after double-clicking the file Adobe Acrobat would open (the program) but it will not show the file I just opened. Now checking the installation is it using up 55GB of HDD space. any ideas or solutions of this, it is very abnormal for a simple adobe installation. How do I clear up this amount of space without uninstalling.

Please let me know any reasons and solutions.

Thank You all,

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

On behalf of Adobe …

I can confirm that the space usage reported by Microsoft for applications in its Program and Features control panel is quite inaccurate. In reality, a full installation of Acrobat Pro DC including all executables, work areas, fonts, etc. adds up to less than 3GB in total! (Microsoft is aware of the problem and it doesn't just affect Adobe applications!)

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you check the installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In control Panel > programs and features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information is not correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean? I can give you a screenshot of what I am referring to.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows doesn't display the correct information there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On behalf of Adobe …

I can confirm that the space usage reported by Microsoft for applications in its Program and Features control panel is quite inaccurate. In reality, a full installation of Acrobat Pro DC including all executables, work areas, fonts, etc. adds up to less than 3GB in total! (Microsoft is aware of the problem and it doesn't just affect Adobe applications!)

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sc1.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my response above. That number is more bogus than a three dollar bill. Not your fault, but nonetheless, it doesn't represent anywhere near the amount of disk space used by Acrobat.

By the way, why do you also have Reader installed? Acrobat is a superset of Reader. Reader is absolutely unnecessary (and could cause interference) if Acrobat is installed.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the real answer. The auto-updater keeps a copy of all of the past version installers. Windows knows Acrobat created them so it treats them as part of the application's disk usage. 

I went into C:\ProgramData\Adobe\ARM\Acrobat_20.012.20048 (you might have a different path for that last bit) and found 20GB of useless old installers. Thought I'd post a real answer on here in case anybody else is looking for how they can free up disk space. Hopefully the Acrobat team add some code to their auto updater that deletes ancient installers because there is no reason to keep so many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally managed to clean 12GB out of the 28,8 that my adobe was using by deleting the old installers thanks to @TomH834  's post. Any idea  how to clean up the rest  still far fro the 3 GB that adobe was supposed to be using. @Dov Isaacs  sorry but your answers were completely misleading

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You TomH834. With Acrobat DC, I found 24 iterations of these files  in C:\ProgramData\Adobe\ARM\. AcrobatDCx64Manifest3.msi, AcroRdrDCx64Upd2300320215.msi & AcroRdrDCx64Upd2300320215.msp.  Some may have "incr" just before the file extension, with only the number changing.   
I wonder if I can simply delete those files?
It is interesting that there were so many deniers (including the former Adobe Principal Scientist) defending Adobe when it is obvious, they are the one generating the garbage in everyone’s PC.
Perhaps the real issue is the developers just arent listening!  I am sure that those with Pro versions are experiencing a lot more of the same issue. Looking at the iterations, it appears that there is a new one every 3-4 weeks, whenever adobe puts out an update.  So, in the final analysis, ADOBE. get your act together and fix this problem.   

And Mr. former Adobe Principal Scientist, since ADOBE is not listening to thier customer, perhaps rather than defend thier bad programming, if you still have contacts where you used to work, you can put a bug in thier ear, rather than them putting a bug in our computers. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sir, i found out my free space on C drive is gettin` smaller; when i look on installed programs, Acrobat DC had 178gb and tried deletin` temp files, etc. This info you shared saved me 22gb of  drive space. Thank You Again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines