Copied

i need a font by the name of adobe sans mm

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

rahimk74647645:

On behalf of Adobe, let me summarize this situation.

Although you didn't explicitly state this, we are assuming you are trying to edit an existing PDF file as opposed to a source document.

Adobe Sans MM (and the accompanying Adobe Serif MM) are internal substitution fonts used by Acrobat and Reader to display text for fonts that were not embedded within a PDF file (not embedding fonts is a strongly non-recommended practice). The fonts do not show up on any font lists on your system

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't. It's a built-in font that Acrobat uses as a temporary substitute in case the font used in the file can't be embedded or when the user doesn't have access to the original font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More specifically, why do you think you need that font and for what purpose?

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need it to edit a document. The font does not match and i need that specific font. I have the subscription to Adobe Acrobat Pro that i pay for, but that font does not show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Grüß Gott aus München!

Die Fragestellung, "für welchen Zwech" Adobe Sans MM benötigt wird, halte ich schon für ein Eingriff in das Persönlichkeitsrecht aus Art. 2 Abs. 1 GG mit Aert. 1 Abs. 1 GG. 

Eine Fragestellung mit einer Gegenfrage zu beantworten, läßt zu wümnschen übrig. 

Wenn man schon für das Produkt bezahlt, sollte man nach Lösungen suchen, wie man einen User seiner Sache gerecht werden kann. 

Auch ich benötige die Schrift "Adobe Sans MM, die sich nicht im Schrifttum finden lässt. Auch ich bezahle mtl. meine Beiträge und ich wünsche mir ebenfalls, dass Adobe dieses Problem nuun endlich einmal lösen wird. 

Wie sagt man doch so schön:  "Der Kunde ist König", was ich aber im vorliegenden Fall stark vermisse.  Bitte mehr Butter an die Fische bringen. BEsten Dank.

Mit bayerischen Grüßen von und mit Reverend Joachim Hinz 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rahimk74647645:

On behalf of Adobe, let me summarize this situation.

Although you didn't explicitly state this, we are assuming you are trying to edit an existing PDF file as opposed to a source document.

Adobe Sans MM (and the accompanying Adobe Serif MM) are internal substitution fonts used by Acrobat and Reader to display text for fonts that were not embedded within a PDF file (not embedding fonts is a strongly non-recommended practice). The fonts do not show up on any font lists on your system since they are not actually installed on your system and are not supported for use in creating either source documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) or as an editing font within Acrobat.

If in fact you have a PDF file that actually has either of these fonts referenced, it is probably due to someone's misuse of the product (possibly “refrying” a PDF file - distilling PostScript output from Acrobat from a PDF file that did not have embedded fonts).

That having been said, the closest Adobe font to Adobe Sans MM would be Myriad Pro, a font that is available through the Adobe Fonts service (formerly Typekit). (For Adobe Serif MM, the closest Adobe font would be Minion Pro.)

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dov,

I've got simillar problem as previous user but bit more clarity on what Adobe Sans MM is. Saying that - I'm still looking for something similar to Adobe Sans MM. Funnily enough - my client received the PDF document from me without embeded fonts (my bad), and liked Sans MM more than what I proposed. I spent quite a few hours looking in my font libraries and online and couldn't finds what I was looking for. Mainly, because both the font I used and Adobe Sans MM have same spacing and Myriad Pro doesn't.  I'm struggling to find font that will meet all the specs I need (both aesthetically and composition wise). Is there anything closer to Sans MM than Myriad Pro? How can I look for better options?

thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Adobe Sans MM is used as a substitute, the job of Acrobat it to make it fit the original spacing. It may also distort the letter forms. (MM means multiple master, an obsolete technology, used only by Acrobat, allowing careful distortion of fonts to make new fonts - including stretching, changing boldness etc). I think Adobe Sans MM was based on Myriad, so they as close as you can get; however you can't distort Myriad in the same way,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wojowojo,

As I previously discussed in this thread, in fact, Adobe Sans MM was directly derived from Myriad (i.e. same glyph design and basic glyph and font metrics), but with additional internal parameters that allowed it to be used as a substitution font for any Western Latin set of glyphs by dynamically modifying the advance width and some horizontal scaling. (Note that what is now Myriad Pro actually started off over 25 years ago as a Type 1 font family, Myriad Multiple Master!)

As such, the closest font to Adobe Sans MM is in fact Myriad Pro. (And the closest font to Adobe Serif MM is in fact Minion Pro.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both, @Dov Isaacs and @Testscreenname

I did some close comparison and managed to find something (Laguna Vintage Condesed Regular) closer to what appeared in the PDF than the Myriad Pro. The algorythm (?) must have modified the original font I proposed ( HouseGothic Black) quite a lot, because the reslut was significantly off the Myriad territory. Thanks once again - good and interesting lesson on typography 🙂 

have a good one,

Wojtek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO, but he didn't answer the question. Could you please answer how to fix the problem with Adobe Sand MM, please?

Please explain how to fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He explained in detail that there isn't a problem. Please explain what you are facing in full detail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tell you a trick but dont tell anyone: IN ADOBE ACORBAT RIGHT CLICK TO THE BOX -> EDIT WITH ILLUSTRATOR -> ILLUSTRATOR OPENS -> IT WILL SHOW WHAT FONT NAME EXACTLY MISSING

Have fun 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what ? the first function of adobe pro is to edit a PDF, it's a crime ? no, so what is your problem exactly ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tell you a trick but dont tell anyone: IN ADOBE ACORBAT RIGHT CLICK TO THE BOX -> EDIT WITH ILLUSTRATOR -> ILLUSTRATOR OPENS -> IT WILL SHOW WHAT FONT NAME EXACTLY MISSING

Have fun 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF YOU CLICK CNTRL+D OR CMD+D IN ACROBAT IT WILL SHOW USED FONTS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loïc est en G5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need Adobe Sans MM fornt for office use and many more 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The closest font is A750-Sans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use MS Notepad. Notepad makes any text into a generic font. Once you copy from Notepad back to Adobe, it will not recognize MS font and you get Adobe sans. Have fun forging. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use MS Notepad. Notepad makes any text into a generic font. Once you copy from Notepad back to Adobe, it will not recognize MS font and you get Adobe sans. Have fun forging. 

By @Nick247490235rht

Your tip doesn't work on MacOS, too bad 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't TextEdit on Mac do the same as Notepad on PC? "By pasting into TextEdit, you strip any complicated formatting and are left with clean, unformatted text."

the unformatted text should be unrecognized on Adobe so it will be converted into their secret script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines