• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Acrobat Pro and Reader Tool Buttons have been hidden, relocated or completely removed

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest versions (February 2024) of both Acrobat and Reader were just installed on my Mac. The interface has completely changed, and not for the better, IMO. I was previously using a very specific setup with multiple Tool Buttons an easy click away. They were readily available in a strip of buttons along the top of my window. I used those all the time and found the layout very intuitive and efficient.

But now, the new interface is emulating Apple's UX approach to HIDE or remove everything! How do I  Zoom a PDF to a specific magnifcation? How do I quickly move to the first/last page in a PDF? No clue how anymore. Those options are either buried somewhere, completely changed or gone altogether.

Can I reinstate the missing buttons? Apparently not. They do not exist.

For the ones that do remain, I am unable to add to and customize the one Toolbar that was not removed.

This revamp is extremely unhelpful and requires several extra clicks to do the same task as what previously needed just one click. Not to mention having to hunt for things that were previously easy to locate.

Am I missing something with this complete overhaul? And if somehow I am missing something, can someone please explain how this new interface is supposed to be "better" than what was working just fine for years?

TOPICS
How to , Modern Acrobat , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Hi. I understand how frustrating it can be to have the user interface of a tool completely change on you. Fortunately, this one you can reverse!

Go to the View menu in Acrobat (or Reader) and select Disable new Acrobat. It will require a restart of the application, but when it comes back, you'll have the old UI!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I understand how frustrating it can be to have the user interface of a tool completely change on you. Fortunately, this one you can reverse!

Go to the View menu in Acrobat (or Reader) and select Disable new Acrobat. It will require a restart of the application, but when it comes back, you'll have the old UI!

Pariah Burke | Trainer, Author, Instructional Designer | InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Photoshop, Firefly, Audition, Canva, Generative AI | Accessibility / Section 508, Publishing, Generative AI, EPUB, IFX, more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!! I just found that as well. This will get me back to a usable version of Acrobat.

And yes, I have submitted my feedback to Adobe. Anyone who has encountered this issue should do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! Glad I could help.

Pariah Burke | Trainer, Author, Instructional Designer | InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Photoshop, Firefly, Audition, Canva, Generative AI | Accessibility / Section 508, Publishing, Generative AI, EPUB, IFX, more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This step did not restore the tools I am missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should find them on the Tools tab near the top-left corner of Acrobat, or by clicking the More Tools button at the bottom of the tools list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no tool tabs in top left, nor a more tools button anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no tool tabs in top left, nor a more tools button anywhere.

By @BRENDA264737600l2k

Then you're using the "New Acrobat." There are two, completely different user interface versions of Acrobat in use currently. And that makes every direction, tutorial, or technical help advice you read potentially right or completely invalid. Acrobat updates have not been handled well lately.

The "New Acrobat" interface, which it sounds like you have, looks like the below screenshot. Click on "All Tools," then "Vew More" at the bottom if the tools you need are not currently showing in your list of tools.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 09.23.04.png

The most familiar Acrobat looks like the below. The Tools pane is on the right, and at the top left a tab that says Tools. Both can get you to any tools not currently showing.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 09.23.32.png

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 09.23.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that side section. How do I get these tools to show? 

BRENDA264737600l2k_0-1718815103152.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. That's an unrelated question. If I don't fully answer it in this comment, please start a new topic (not a reply in this topic) about it. That will help others with the same question find the solution.

That said, what you want is to add hidden tools to the primary toolbar. Here's how you do that:

1.  Open a PDF in Acrobat
  2. In the toolbar a the top, right-click in an empty space near the Up- and Down-Arrow buttons (the Show Previous Page and Show Next Page buttons). A popup with submenus will appear.
  3. Go to the Show Page Navigation Tools submenu.
  4. Select First Page, which will add the First Page button to the toolbar.
  5. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 to add the Last Page button to the toolbar.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 10.03.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to restore the interface to the original version? If the old tools are still missing, then it may not have reverted back properly. I was able to switch both Acrobat and Reader back to the old UI and are working just fine, as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This update has not been beneficial to me in using Adobe.

I disabled new acrobat and rebooted but the tools did not return.

My Combine Files, Organize Pages and Optimize Tools are not an option, very frustratin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad you recommended this, didn't find the option until now that I saw your post here. New UI is simply wrong. thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2024 Aug 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Exactly what I was looking for!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank goodness - new interface was driving me mad - thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created an account to leave this reply.  STOP.  The PC interface got to the point where nothing really needed to be  done about 10 years ago.  It's obvious you don't have any more meaningful changes to make, so now you're just moving the furniture around to try to keep things looking fresh.  But every time you do this, you make things worse.  Every time.  If you don't have a meaningful change for the better, don't do it.  You don't need to change just to change, especially when you're so bad at it.

Luckily I only have to use acrobat reader at work.  I use a Mac at home and Preview is amazing.  So when I have to use it at work and I see changes like this, it just reinforces the fact that I made a good choice.

To summarize:  just stop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines