• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OCR not working with Japanese and Chinese but OK with English and German

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I could do OCR with Adobe Acrobat Standard so I bought the product.

But then it fails all the time with OCR into Japanese and Chinese. With the message of "unknown error" (translated into English from my GUI)

Now after countless time of trying -- uninstall and reinstall. It won't open up, so I can't read the version info.

I'm using Windows 10 with Adobe Acrobat Standard installed through Creative Cloud, so I guess it's the latest version. I also try adjusting my computer to using Unicode instead of default CP950. Won't work either.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Hi Alicja260254448hlp

I think I may have found a solution to your problem. Launch Acrobate. Under the Edit tab choose "Preferences." Under "categories" on the left pane of the Preference box choose "Updater." Check the box to install optional components. Close Acrobat, then relaunch. Go to "Help" and click "check for updates." Adobe should then update. Once this is done relaunch Adobe and you should be able to do Japanese OCR (I was able to). Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alicja260254448hlp 

We are sorry for the delay in response.

Please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/using-ocr-exportpdf.html and see if that works.

By default, OCR uses the language selected in the My Information dialog box. The OCR engine uses the selected language to interpret the scanned text. Selecting the correct language improves the accuracy of the conversion, as the OCR engine uses language-specific dictionaries for conversion. For non-Latin languages like Japanese, the OCR engine cannot interpret and convert the text unless you've selected the appropriate language.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the wrong language was selected, Acrobat would not show an error, it would just interpret the characters incorrectly. Therefore, this obviously isn't the problem. I'm having the same "unkown error" problem when selecting any non-Latin language to use OCR on. Since this is the only reason I got my company to get me an Acrobat Pro License, I need a resolution to this problem and quickly, and I'm feeling like the victim of fraud since Adobe's advertising that Acrobat Pro is able to OCR Korean and Japanese is evidently false. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

You can find the option to OCR in Japanese under the Edit PDF tool at the right.

Open PDF in the Acrobat application and click on Edit PDF at right.

Then under 'Scanned Documents' click on "Settings".

In Scanned document editing settings, select the required language from the drop-down of "Recognize Text in".

Then click OK to save settings.

Check if this helps.

Let us know if you experience any issues.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alicja260254448hlp

I think I may have found a solution to your problem. Launch Acrobate. Under the Edit tab choose "Preferences." Under "categories" on the left pane of the Preference box choose "Updater." Check the box to install optional components. Close Acrobat, then relaunch. Go to "Help" and click "check for updates." Adobe should then update. Once this is done relaunch Adobe and you should be able to do Japanese OCR (I was able to). Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines