• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe out of Memory Error when loading PDF's

New Here ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New installation of Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Version 2019.012.20040.  When opening a PDF, at times I will get an "Out of Memory" error.  When opening a PDF with multiple pages, when I start to scroll those pages it works for the first few...but then it will lock up, pause and jump and scrolling does not work at all.  I have done a repair installation, but that did not help at all.  I have an old laptop (this new laptop replaced that) with the same version of Adobe and do not have these issues.  Please HELP!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Most of the “out of memory” issues occur on Windows when opening exceptionally-complex PDF files, primarily those coming out of CAD programs in which a single page may have literally hundreds of thousands of individual line segments defined, often with a line width of 0 (legal, but highly discouraged practice) and sometimes with unnecessary use of transparency which requires transparency blending for page display and most printing.

Typically, with current versions of Acrobat (i.e. 2017, 2020,

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think with all the comments by the user community it appears that this particular issue with the "Out of Memory" is quite apparent and still valid.  I also, have several users here at my company experiencing the same problem.  There is no real way for us to replicate the problem but it is still an ongoing issue.  

Per Dov Issac's Isaacs' stated the following, "Expect an update for Acrobat to provide a 64-bit version in a not-too distant release. That should solve this issue assuming you are running a 64-bit version of Windows 10.".   Do we have an ETA on when this will get officially released?  I have reviewed many articles on this particular issue dating back from 2011 and one of the users speculates that there is definitely an issue with the coding with Adobe Acrobat products.  Lastly, why do you only offer a 32bit version when there are so many limitations with that particular architecture?  Anyhow, can you get an ETA on when this new 64bit version will be released?  Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we have an ETA on when this will get officially released? … Lastly, why do you only offer a 32bit version when there are so many limitations with that particular architecture?  Anyhow, can you get an ETA on when this new 64bit version will be released? 

Adobe doesn't generally preannounce releases. That having been said, my previous posting stands, but by the time Spring arrives, your wish may be granted. 🙂

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PhD research requires me to continuously have several PDF's open, each one often several hundred pages long. However, I am constantly having annoying 'Out of memory' pop-ups, making me having to re-open everything and deeply disturbing my workflow.

This is highly peculiar, considering my modern PC can load much more demanding programmes without any issues, and I have the latest version of Adobe Pro. It is clearly a software issue. If there is no simple and easy solution to this problem, which repeated Google searches have shown to be chronic for months and even years among many users, I will be forced to cancel my subscription and look for better programmed alternatives elsewhere, that can do their job: simply showing the text of PDF's without crashing several times an hour (sometimes every ten minutes!).

One can also ask why something as simple as a PDF-reader needs a costly subscription service, but I guess asking the question is already answering it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Acrobat Reader DC. It is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had experienced the same issues with the free version. A few weeks ago I got a subscription, as I also need to make some edits from time to time, convert JPG's from scanned documents, and perform OCR, though the memory issues occur when simply having even two PDF's open, which are not excessively large, but do each have about 300 pages in them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum comments from the past few years continuously allude to this problem. One from this August got a more elaborate reply, basically amounting to that it 'will be fixed' sometime in the future: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/out-of-memory/m-p/11389482?page=1

This is not reassuring, and does not justify the very high subscription costs. It is effectively compelling me to look for competing products later this week, as it would be equally unimaginable for a developer from Microsoft to simply declare that having two or more Word files over one hundred pages open at the same time will continue to crash until some unforeseeable future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to turn these 2 options as shown on screenshots:

Acrobat_n7K9uV3cng.png

Acrobat_J8vKDBKpvV.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your assistance, but I am afraid the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this one too:

Acrobat_pref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wouter5C20 

I will respond to this issue again in the thread at https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/out-of-memory/m-p/11389482?page=1 and will close this one since it really duplicates ground already covered elsewhere. Check back at 9:15pm PDT on 2020-10-26 at that thread.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to Acrobat DC (21.007.20091) we are seeing a lot of "out of memory" errors, especially when "page thumbnails" is enabled and users are scrolling around in that view in larger PDFs (150+ mb). These machines have 16 gigs of ram, plenty of drive space availible, and are running Windows 10. Thumbnails stop loading altogether once this "out of memory" pops up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mattt

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

This issue is already reported to our engineering team and they are working on it to find the fix. We will share the update as soon as we hear anything form them.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that this issue has been around a long time.  I have been experiencing it for the last week and it is very annoying as I use Adobe most of the day.  Can this be excalated to a priority in developing the fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the status with the R&D for the patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This issue is already reported to our engineering team and they are working on it to find the fix. We will share the update as soon as we hear anything form them.

Thanks for your time and patience

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked what the status was, and you simply repeated the same phrase.

What is the current status, as of today, of the engineering team working on this fix?  The issue has existed for ~3 weeks now, and you've made no progress that I'm aware of.

What is the status of this issue TODAY?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's go engineering team! Please get this resolved asap.

This is dreadfully painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue at my organization

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also having the same issue.  Opening a 25mb PDF and then viewing thumbnails bring Acrobat's RAM usage over 1GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

The optional update for Adobe Acrobat/Reader version 21.07.2009x is now available addressing the issue.

Please update the application from the help menu and reboot the computer once and let us know if you experience any trouble.

For detailed information about the bug fixes and how to update, please see the help article https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-acrobat-and-reader-21-007-2009x-optional-up...

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I applied the patch in our UAT environment and have had a user testing all day.  So far, it seems to be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently using that version (no newer updates available) and still hitting the "Out of memory error" on a regular basis. Ryzen 2400GE/16GB etc, lots of resources free when it happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lance

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.  Please update the application to the recent version 21.07.20099 from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patc manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why am I getting an Acrobat 'Out of Memory' error?

My laptop has 32GB of memory.  I have six pdf files open, total size less than 30MB.  How can Acorbat possibly be out of memory???

I can only assume the Acrobat software is badly written if it uses up 32GB of memory to read a files that are 30MB (one thousand times smaller than memory)

It also comes up with 'Draw Error'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What version of Acrobat is it exactly (not "latest" please?)

Does it say (in the title bar or ABOUT box whether it is 64-bit or 32-bit)?

How much free space on your system disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines