Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

password protect multiple pdf's

Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to password protect around 1000 pdf files and I can't find any useful article regarding this problem. I am using Adobe Acrobat XI. I tried it with Acrobat X and it worked,but when I try to create an action in Acrobat XI,it works only if I open each file individually. Is there any way I can apply this action to multiple files?

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Hi asdfzxcvm ,

Please select "Add files" from the drop down menu and select the files on which you want to add protection to .

batch password.PNG

batch password 2.PNG

Please let us know if you face any issue .

Thanks!

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Hi Mwieland,

Please follow below mentioned steps:

1- Create an action by going into Tools > Action Wizard > Create New Action.

2- Under Choose tools to add > click Protection > Encrypt > and click on + sign to add this to the right-hand panel (uncheck the box next to Prompt user).

3- Then click Save & Export > Save > and add it to right-hand panel. (you can change output options by clicking on specify settings)

4- Click Save and give action a name. ( for ex: Batch password).

5- Go to Action Wizard >

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi asdfzxcvm ,

Please select "Add files" from the drop down menu and select the files on which you want to add protection to .

batch password.PNG

batch password 2.PNG

Please let us know if you face any issue .

Thanks!

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem was that I didn't add the save tool so the only thing it did was to try to encrypt. I didn't know that I have to also add "save". Now it works. Thank you anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, but it still made me add the password to each document.  Is there a way to do this so that all the files have the same password and it is only one step instead of for each file?  Clearly I am doing something wrong.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out...Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So what is the answer? How did you add the same password to all the document in one step instead of for each file? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2017 Sep 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mwieland,

2- Under Choose tools to add > click Protection > Encrypt > and click on + sign to add this to the right-hand panel (uncheck the box next to Prompt user).

3- Then click Save & Export > Save > and add it to right-hand panel. (you can change output options by clicking on specify settings)

5- Go to Action Wizard > Actions > Batch Password

6- Click on Add Files > select all the files you want to add password to and click Start.

Thank You,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.
Sorry to come back on this article. With the latest version of adobe acrobat , when I press on add files I can add only one file. How can I add multiple files ?

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I follow these steps AcrobatPro still wants me to input a permissions password for each and every file in the folder, it does not batch apply the password to each file in the folder. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue where it still asks me to enter the password for each file in the folder using these instructions. Does anyone know what we are missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. After you add the action step 'Encrypt', you have to uncheck the box 'Prompt User'. This allows you to add all of the passwords at once. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, is it possible to upload multiple different passwords to multiple files at once?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shivam, 

Thank you so much for the guidance!

But the thing is I need to encrypt around 1000+ PDFs with an unique password for each PDFs.

For example, for 1st PDF, I need to encrypt with ABCD1 and for 2nd PDF, I need to encrypt with ABCD2 and so on.

Is there anyway in Adobe Acrobat 2017 whether we can encrypt bulk PDFs with Unique passwords?

Kindly advice. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you find a way to encrypt multiple PDF with diferent passwords?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Yes I did, however all will be protected with the same password. Instructions below:

5- Go to Action Wizard > Actions > Batch Password
6- Click on Add Files > select all the files you want to add password to and click Start.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[https://www.aloysius.vic.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/SA_Talk-Tour_Email-Banner_Mar20_v1.jpg]

www.aloysius.vic.edu.au

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential. You must not disclose or use the information in this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately and delete the e-mail and all copies. The School does not guarantee that this e-mail is virus or error free. The attached files are provided and may only be used on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of the attached files, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not. The content and opinions in this e-mail are not necessarily those of the School.

CRICOS Provider code 00871G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also searching for a method to batch encrypt multiple PDF with diferent passwords, possibly from a reference file or lookup table or any method really!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possible when you create a plugin (written in C/C++) for Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have followed these instructions, but when I go to use the "Batch Password" action the "Encrypt" icon is not highlighted and therefore does not password protect the files. Thank you for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adorobat,

Is it possible to reverse this batch password protection (remove the password and print protection from documents that have been secured in this fashion with the same password)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this work in adobe reader? I have pdf exchange editor installed too. Can you help me on this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible with Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Shivam! You're my hero for today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It seems to go through the motions but then I can still edit all the documents after I've closed and re-entered. Also at what point do I add in the actual password that I want to use. Only want to protect the documents from being edited, don't need them to be encrypted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No need for a response, just worked out that I had to open up additional fields to enter the password. Thank you anyway - all worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi martellia

This is exactly what I wanted just password protect copy paste but allow print.

Could you please explain the process of openinng up additional fields for this purpose. 

Many thanks

Harsha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines