• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF downloaded from Chrome automatically opening in Acrobat Reader

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a user report an issue to our helpdesk yesterday, she was downloading a PDF document via Chrome, and the document was opening up in Adobe Reader automatically.

We checked the settings in Chrome and it was not set to automatically open Adobe Reader after downloading the PDF, and the Adobe Reader extension was not installed, so we weren't sure why this was happening.

On further investigation we found a setting in the Preferences - General tab called "Open PDFs automatically in Reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser". Initially when we tried to turn this setting off it would re-enable itself when we closed and reopened Adobe Reader, however clearing the user's preferences from the registry and trying again worked for us. The setting is under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AutoDocOpen - bIsAutoDocOpenFeatureEnabled dWord 1.

The user is on the current DC build 2003.006.20360.

Has anybody else experienced this, and is there any further documentation available about this feature?

TOPICS
Modern Acrobat , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

I finally figured out it's in my Chrome setting, not Adobe, that I had to change.

2 Correct answers
  1. Open Chrome Settings.
  2. Expand Advanced.
  3. Select Downloads.
  4. Select Clear next to "Open certain file types automatically after downloading" ...
  5. Go to Privacy and security.
  6. Expand Site Settings.
  7. Click on PDF Documents.
  8. Make sure Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck the box that says  "Open PDFs automatically in Reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser" then press "Enter" That saves the settings. If you just un check it and then close out it will default back on. 

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you scroll to the bottom of the window, there will be an "OK" button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is malware-like behaviour. Actually astonishing for Adobe to try and pull this off. Think I'm going to uninstall Adobe immediately and find a free open source alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not open source, but PDFgear is free and works great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears the issue stemmed from a specific Adobe Acrobat setting in the Preferences - General tab, related to automatically opening PDFs in Chrome. Despite Chrome settings indicating otherwise, Adobe's setting overrode it. Clearing user preferences from the registry resolved the problem. Further documentation on this feature may be available from Adobe support or forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has started for me as well all of a sudden but neither of those options show in Chrome or Adobe. They've probably updated/changed by now but I can't see how to find how to fix it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just fixed this for someone.  There is two views of Adobe, "New Adobe" and "Old Adobe".  You likely have "Old Adobe" going at the moment and that is why you cannot see the feature.  I think this is a bug on the "Old Adobe" settings view.

To correct this, you'll want to go to View at the top and select Enable new Acrobat (about 2/3 of the way down).  It'll prompt you to relaunch.  From here follow the instructions from above by clicking on menu on the top left and going to prefrences.  Uncheck the box and scroll down and click Ok. 

Next is just a precaution for me, but close out of Adobe and reopen it.  Then under the menu option there should be something about Disable New Acrobat, also about 2/3 of the way down.  Click that and it'll prompt to relaunch.  When it does, you'll have the old layout back and hopefully the automatic opening of your PDF files will stop.  

Once again, I think this is a bug not being able to see the function under the Old Adobe layout.  It exists, but end users can't manage it without being under the new view they made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you so much! That was absolutely what was happening to me. Hopefully this helps anyone else out there too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, and glad to hear it worked!

Have a good rest of your week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer did fix it for me. Thanks heaps 

I am curious why this just turned on when it wasn't doing this a few days ago. Why do they do that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue started after a Adobe auto update.  Mine has worked fine for years.  I edited the Adobe registry key and changed the value from 1 to 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Great help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect!  Thank you... was driving me crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I've been trying everything and couldn't find someone who had fixed this issue. Your solution was exactly what I needed and will save me from much aggravation as I work. 

You're awesome and I'm sending you mental hugs lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2024 May 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers mate.

Top banana !!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Fixed the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the Reg Key value from 1 to 0 fixed the issue for me as well.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I agree with the user who said that this is basically malware behavior.  Fix this, Adobe.

Here is the solution that I found.  Go into Adobe-->Menu-->Preferences-->General

About halfway down the screen, you will see a checkmarked box for "Open PDFs automatically in Reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser."  See the attached image.Adobe_Chrome_Auto-Open.png

WTH, Adobe.  This should not be a default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great... Its working perfectly without making any change in the registry key

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help!!  Somehow I am stuck from poor Adobe software implementation. 

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro 2024.002.20736 - but considering cancelling as a paid customer due to unwanted product updates, broken features, loss of previous functionalities in the new versions, Adobe is messing up a good product IMHO.

The General > Preferences does not have this option:

michaele82077847_0-1715887977215.png

The REGEDIT key: is already set to 0.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\DC\AutoDocOpen

michaele82077847_1-1715887998501.png

Please advise on how to remove the auto doc open as I wish to opt-out from this feature I never asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am not seeing that "Open PDFs automatically in Reader when they are downloaded in Chrome browser." option.  I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro 2024.002-20857.

How can we turn this off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[image: image.png]
Preferences (Ctrl-K) > General > Uncheck Box "Open PDF's automatically
etc." > Scroll down > Press OK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this isnt an option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't have the option to uncheck that box. Has anyone figured this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines