• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print-to-pdf multiple pages per sheet

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I print-to-pdf multiple pages per sheet? I have a pdf file. I know how to print multiple pages per sheet, but rather than printing I'd like to generate a new pdf file that displays multiple pages of the original file per every page of the new file.

Here's how I tried to go about it.

File > Print... > Multiple > Pages per sheet: 2 by 2 > Printer... > PDF > Save As PDF... > Save

This procedure ends with the following message: "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save."

However, there is no multiple pages per sheet option on the File > Save As... dialog.

System details:

* Acrobat XI 11.0.11

* OS X Yosemite 10.10.4

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Sorry, I assumed you had Reader since you posted in the Reader forum... (I'll move your thread to the Acrobat forums)

The Adobe PDF printer is not available (any more) on Mac computers, so you can't print to a PDF file.

It is possible to create an n-Up version of a PDF using a script, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible with Reader. You need Acrobat for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Acrobat is precisely what I use! (See my system details at the end of my original post.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I assumed you had Reader since you posted in the Reader forum... (I'll move your thread to the Acrobat forums)

The Adobe PDF printer is not available (any more) on Mac computers, so you can't print to a PDF file.

It is possible to create an n-Up version of a PDF using a script, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I find it ridiculous and infuriating that it is not possible to print to PDF from Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fault lies with Apple, who forbids virtual printers... The PDF printer is still alive and well on Windows machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your request made me think, though, and I'm working on a script that will allow Mac users to generate a new PDF file from an existing one, with multiple sheets of the original per page. I can send you some more information privately, if you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'd like that. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this string is from a year ago (actually, exactly a year ago today...creepy), but I'm finding myself frustrated by the same issue. How's the script doing? Are there any other work-arounds?

I can sort of understand the logic of not allowing virtual printing (why do you need a new PDF when you can either read 2 pages side-by-side on screen or print them thusly on paper, etc), but that means I can't send documents to the printer properly formatted (it also means files are twice as large as they need to be).

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67, while I appreciate that you wrote a script, and that it takes work to do, but the fact that it costs $40... it's... just very uncool. Especially if yer an MVP. I already spend $600/year for Creative Cloud, why should I spend what to many people is a couple hours' pay to do a single task, that I used to be able to do easily, via all manner of software, from Reader to Preview? I am sorry if I am coming off aggressively. Maybe you'll forgive me, but it's just incredibly insulting and disrespectful to Adobe customers. Maybe you don't work for Adobe, I don't know, but... well, I feel hurt in my bumbum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't work for Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey try67 i apologize for my note... it was kind of harsh. Especially because this more an Apple problem (& I spent $2K on a new Mac... why should I be introduced to reductions in software functionality for that???). Anyway I just hope you get where I'm coming from... sometimes you work hard and then problems pop up that shouldn't -- making you have to work even longer, and all the solutions just involve you spending more money, when the additional work you're doing doesn't bring in more money to cover it! And I am sure you writing the script took significant work and inspiration. Anyway, I'm probably going way off the rails from what should be in an Adobe Forum... sigh... emotions. All the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a few Google searched about this, as I was having the same issue. I found that (once you are done with your edits in PDF, save and close), you can open PDF in "Preview" and print multiple pages and "save to PDF" without a script : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> open PDF in "Preview"

> in "Orientation" Dropdown "Preview" and select "Layout"

> select pages per sheet

> bottom left dropdown "PDF" and select "Save as PDF"

: )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. IDK how to mark it "correct" since there is already a "correct" answer on this forum. But this would be more correct than the other. The solution seems simple, like something we would have tried before!... but maybe one of the OS X updates since adjusted things. Curious if this works with other people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This probably sounds dumb, but when I try this I don't see multiple versions of my original PDF on the page (either in the preview window as shown, or in the resulting file).

My original file is 104mmx76mm (WxH).  So I should be able to fit 6-up on a portrait A4 sheet.

But when I try to follow your instructions as best I can:

• File > Print
  • Set Scale to 100%
  • Select Layout from the dropdown whose first item is labelled Preview
  • Select 6 from Pages Per Sheet dropdown
  • Select Save as PDF from PDF dropdown in bottom left

I get a single image in the right spot, but blank space where I'd expect the other 5 to be.

Preview 6-up print.png

What am I doing differently to the two previous posters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your document has only one page. You need 6 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo!

Thanks Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a way to do this with booklet format (instead of multipe slides on one page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so much ! so simple clever and helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do this in a booklet format (rather than multiploe slides layout)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2019 Aug 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is this virtual printer plugin for mac. Works perfectly, as in you can create your multiple pages per sheet print layout in Acrobat and then select the virtual printer to get a pdf output, even better it's free of charge

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just incase anyone is having the same issue as I am, I tried just the simple save as PDF and was getting an error message, I set my printer to offline and now I am not getting the error message. Which maybe makes sense and relates to the whole virtual printer issue maybe.  Just a though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines