• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

/private/var/spool/cups/tmp error

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a /private/var/spool/cups/tmp error message when trying to print PDFs. Printing works fine for all other documents. Running Mac High Sierra OS on Adobe Acrobat DC. All the latest updates are installed. I even tried deleting the printer, Canon Pixma MX892, and reinstalling with no change. Also did Pram and SMC reset, no luck. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no experience with the Mac, but my Unix experience says that there is either a space or a rights problem.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi can u please explain further - as i m lost - thanks much obliged - :}}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DrewMalta,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please check for any pending updates of Acrobat from help>check for updates, reboot the machine after installing the updates.

Please try saving the files locally to your desktop or anywhere on the local hard drive and then try to print and see if the error pops up.

The error message is related to the read and writes permission to Adobe folders, please refer to the following KB article to give read and write permission to Adobe folders which I have shared via private message, please check your email inbox.

If the issue still persists, please use Acrobat cleaner tool to remove Acrobat from the machine Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Reboot and install Acrobat from Download Pro or Standard versions of Acrobat DC | Non-subscription

If you still face the issue, please create a test user profile with full admin rights and check with Acrobat.

What is the dot version of Acrobat installed? To identify, please refer to Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019 Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello AnandSri,

Can you tell me where I change the read and writes permission to Adobe folders? I used this already because my acrobat was not installing. I changed the sudoers file. It is installed now on my Mojave Mac but I still can't print a pdf with my canon IP8750.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send or post the KB article mentioned on read and write permissions for Adobe folders. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem with  canon ts 5050 - tried everything - and spoke to canon experts - they say it has nothing to do with printer or driver - but how mac is creating pdf - s -  if anyone can help - that would be great :}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

drewMalta  wrote

- but how mac is creating pdf

If my information are correct, you cannot print to Create a PDF as Apple does not allow virtual printers, which is a pitty.

If you get a /private/var/spool/cups/tmp error message, it may be that reat, write or execute rights are not attributed. As I said before, I cannot test on a MacOS, but I have some Unix knowledge and the MacOS is basically a Unix system. Apple modified quite a lot, but still, the kernal (in the best sense of the word) is Unix.

If I get a message like that, I look at the rights attributed to the directory, where the printing subsystem want’s writing.

The good news to this problem is that you are not alone. The bad news is that I do not know of a solution that has been given here in the forums in the last 2 years.

Adobe monitors these threads, but answers are sometimes slow to come. And Adobe needs first to reproduce the problem (as any other user here) to provide a working solution. The very big problem is, that each user configuration is unique and if the problem is connected to one of the unique elements, finding the solution is very complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this same issue on one of our Mac computers. I will follow the instructions that AnandSri has shared using the Acrobat Cleaner Tool from Adobe Labs.

I have installed: Acobe Acrobat Reader DC Version: 2018.011.20038

Mac OSX: 10.13.4

Trying to print to a Canon MX920 series all-in-one.

The error message that pops up is: /private/var/spool/cups/tmp.  ...the same as asoder.

Note: we have four other Mac OSX computers printing to similar printers, all using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with no problems. In addition, as asoder has experienced, all other programs print just fine.

I will check back after following the aforementioned steps and inform you of my status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonw,

Sure, we will wait for your response.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the Acrobat Cleaner Tool to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Then I re-installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The printing problem still persists. I still get the error code /private/var/spool/cups/tmp. It looks like the remaining step would be to create a test user profile. How do I go about doing that... and for what purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jonw,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Please create a test user profile with full admin rights and check if the issue is reproducible?

If it works in the new user profile, then it could be the issue with the old profile, you might have to repair the user profile or the operating system.

Let us know how it goes in a new user profile.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is no longer an issue on my Mac. I believe that when we reset the OS from a previous backup, and then updated the software is when the problem no longer surfaced...
Can't reproduce the issue now... so sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Status: I downloaded and ran the Acrobat Cleaner Tool from Adobe Labs to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. It worked. I then re-installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, tried to print a pdf page using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and the error message reappeared.

I have read elsewhere (can't find it again) that there is a way to clear out the /cups/tmp... file, but the instructions were quite involved and I don't feel comfortable performing them, unless it is my only option.

Please contact me via email if the next step should be to create a test user profile so that I can follow the next procedure.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably this is not the most "tech" solution, but it works for me just saving as "Adobe pdf files, optimized".

I'm saving in the same folder, without changing anything in the original pdf file...

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving is not printing!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I miss the last part.

I print the new pdf file I just saved and it always worked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me.  Nothing else seemed to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue (and posted about it a few days ago, before seeing this thread). iMac OS 13.5, Brother printer. I "cleaned" and reinstalled Acrobat, to no avail. Not sure it's worth reinstalling the system software, but it's annoying. I'll follow this exchange, and hope another promising idea is is shared. Thanks, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you look on the Apple forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just stumbled upon this feed since I just started having printing issues regardless of the app- InDesign, Acrobat...

Can’t open “/private/var/spool/cups/tmp/026a15dd021d2.”

I discovered that in print set-up- under advanced- if I select "print in Bitmap" my file prints.

I have to further look into the quality issues, however initially looks ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines