Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

PSD Layers to PDF

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently designing labels in which the specific printer we are using requires a "press quality layered PDF". I build all 32 designs in photoshop.... I know how to export as press quality but I know acrobat cant read psd layers, the whole reason they need it as a layered PDF is to toggle the die lines on and off. My question is can I keep all 32 designs in psd and export to PDF without the die lines, then import the die lines to Indesign so I only need to pull the one portion to indesign rather than the full 32 files? Will I be able to import the indesign layer on top of the PDF or do all files need to originate from Indesign? I think it would be easier to pop the lines ontop of the 32 PDFs rather than rebuild everything. Any suggestions would help!

TOPICS
Create PDFs, Edit and convert PDFs, How to, PDF forms, Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @katelyn5E33 

Here's what I would do:

INDESIGN

• Create an InDesign file with the same dimensions as the images (or larger to include space for buttons)
  • Place each image into InDesign twice. 
  • Put one instance on the Image layer and one on the Die-Cut layer.
  • In InDesign: use Object menu > Object Layer Options to show the image layer only on one layer and the die-cut layer only on the other. You can hide/show layers and layer comps with this dialog.
  • Export to Print PDF with at least Acrobat 6 or later and check "Include Layers". (Layers are not supported in earlier versions.)
    You said you need "Press Quality". Start with that, but it will say "Modified" when you choose Acrobat 6 or later. Save a new preset with a name that means something to you. Turn on the "View PDF" button as well, but that will not trigger "Modified".

ACROBAT

• Right-click each of the two layers in the layers panel to set which layer(s) will be displayed when the file is opened
  • Set the Initial view to show the Layers panel on opening (optional)
  • Create buttons to hide / show layers (optional)

Test with 2-3 images first and ask if you have further questions.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines