• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"A number is out of range" save issue

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2018 Dec 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I received a digital comic called Heart of Gold from a Kickstarter. I have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat my college provides, and have saved downloaded comics many times in the past. This time I am having an issue where instead of being able to be saves, I receive a message stating "The document cannot be save. A number is out of range." No one else in the campaign is having this issue, so I think it might be a problem with the program. What should I do in order to save the comic onto my laptop?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

I recently came across this error message from a PDF I exported from Storyline Rise (an online eLearning authoring tool). The only solution that worked for me was to open the PDF in the browser and then print it as a PDF. It was a weird approach, but it worked. No more error on my end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just worked for me. thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently came across this error message from a PDF I exported from Storyline Rise (an online eLearning authoring tool). The only solution that worked for me was to open the PDF in the browser and then print it as a PDF. It was a weird approach, but it worked. No more error on my end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that worked for me too! Thanks for the tip 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this reply for help, and it worked. I didn't need to export it, I was having trouble printing or saving one particularly stubborn file a client sent me. In the end, opening it in the browser instead of free version acrobat let me print it right away. 'Open in browser' is what did it for me. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 01, 2019 Oct 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this same problem with some tax forms, and here's what worked for me (macOS Mojave 10.14.6):

- Open the file in Preview

- Go to File > Export as PDF

- Save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I found a very easy way to trouble shoot the issue of an ADOBE document stating "A number is out of range".

1st step: Go to Organize Pages

2nd step: Highlight all pages

3rd step: Click on Extract

4th step: check mark extract pages as seperate files

5th step: Click Extract 

6th step: Click on desktop and then Make a new Folder

7th step: Name your new folder

8th step: click okay and again okay

You can now search your new folder, highlight all files within this folder and combine the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a BS to go through for software that just does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was exporting the PDF file to an image (jpeg) - this process extracted out each page as a jpeg and seems to have retained all the highlights and other nuances in the original PDF pages. I then converted the jpegs to pdfs and then merged them back into one PDF. No issues since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Tried several of the suggestions.  Yours is the one that worked for me.  THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to 'print' the corrupted file to a .pdf. Then you can open that and use as required

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIRST ONE DO NOT CLOSE YOUR OPENED DOCUMENT.   No.1 : Export your file as Postscript file (.ps)  No 2 : and then open it from Acrobat and save as PDF. That's it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to work around this quickly by 1) exporting the document into Microsoft word and 2) saving the word document as a pdf. However, this will only work with text only documents with minimal images. If the pdf has multiple images or an image imbedded in it, you might see issues with the spacing, margins, and weird text in the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the PDF from a govt website. I spent 3 hours filling it out. I can't save. I can't export. My workaround: take screenshots & insert them as images in Word, then save as PDF. Otherwise, I'll have to order ink for my printer & keep the document open until it arrives, then print, then scan, then save. Nothing should be this complicated. Time is too precious to waste on tech issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just about the most counter-intuitive program I've ever used. Been using Acrobat for so many years and now I got a new Mac and have to use this horrible "upgrade." This is the second document I haven't been able to save because of this issue. None of these solutions is helping with my w9 from IRS. I should have been able to get this done in 5 minutes. 40 minutes later, still searching online and trying workarounds that aren't satisfactory. Adobe, how about just fix the software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flattening the pages with Tools > Print Production > Flattener Preview in DC Pro worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some authors damage their PDFs like this intentionally to deter people from modifying stuff.  But by printing to PDF then rebuilding any form fields on the document (just copy/paste them in bulk from the original), you can get around it.

Note that the Extract Pages option only works if the damage is in the document's metadata, not in a particular page.  But I'd try it first since you wouldn't have to rebuild the form fields.

Also, if your document has any buttons or underlying Javascript actions on it such as to send the data you've entered to someone, that will all be lost with print to PDF, and probably also with Extract Pages if the Javascript is at the document level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a solution but yet another workaround.  I had this issue with a document with signature fields, so I couldn't use a fix that would strip these out.  The page export had worked for another file but not this one.  What worked for me was to combine this file with another pdf then save it.  This retained the signature fields and I just deleted the extra pages from the file I didn't need.  I was able to sign and save this file.  Ridiculous isn't it?  Not sure if there's a connection but the two files we had this issue with were created on a Windows version of Acrobat, then signed on a Mac (two separate ones) then sent on for further signature on Windows versions of Acrobat, where the issue came up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing to PDF nor Exporting to Postscript worked for me, as the internal and external links (Contents section and internal links, as well as URLs, etc.) were all stripped from the resulting document and thus made it unusable.

Neither are a viable solution when the needed result is anything more than a simple printout or on-screen representation of one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem constantly and it has nothing to do with file corruption.
First, my solution is simply to close and reopen the file if nothing has changed otherwise the solutions offered to retrieve and save changes have been listed in other replies.
I don't think the workarounds are actually dealing with the essential problem.
I am more interested in the cause.

In every instance for me the problem arises with the use of a file on a network drive where it remains open but I haven't done anything to the document for some minutes and then there seems to be a timeout issue (it could be as simple as not scrolling).
Is there a way of increasing the time before the programme responsed with a timeout?

It is also more likely to happen with larger than smaller documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines