• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Internal Error Occurred" on Windows 7 & Outlook Previewing

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue with Acrobat XI that I have also seen with Acrobat X and Reader XI and Reader X.  I have also found another discussion that I believe is related.  I believe this is a bug in Acrobat, but I don't know how to go about getting it fixed.

In my case, the "Internal Error Occurred" error pops up (usually behind the other windows, making the system seem hung) when users click on a PDF in Windows Explorer (especially if the preview pane is enabled).  The same error pops up if a user clicks on a PDF attachment in Outlook and enables preview.

I have used procmon to see what is happening when the error is triggered, and it appears that Adobe software tries to access the user profile incorrectly.

The discussion I refer to where another user gets the same error more often / in a worse way (but I believe for the same reason) can be seen here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4344860

I believe it is the same issue because the user (LaneCx) says "The only thing that could be considered out of the ordinary is that the C:\users folder is a separate mounted drive."  This is in the post dated Apr 18, 2012 6:01 AM.

In our case, C:\users isn't a separate mounted drive, so C:\Users\Public is accessible by the Adobe products.  However, the other user profiles are separately mounted (for instance C:\Users\John.Doe is a separate mounted drive).  As such, I believe Adobe fails to access some piece of individual user profile data (when John Doe is logged in and the preview extensions are called).  Again, I believe this because of what I saw in procmon (but that was some time ago and I don't remember what all I saw).

Can anyone who has C:\Users (or C:\Users\LoggedInUser) mounted as a separate profile tell me that this works for them?  If so, was any special configuration or repair performed in order to make it work?

Alternatively, can anyone tell me how I can get Adobe to fix this if I can't work around it?

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

We seem to have solved the problem. Or at least we have found a definitive workaround that works on 2 test users.

The registry settings iProtectedView, bProtectedMode or bEnableProtectedModeAppContainer are of no use. If AcroRd32.exe is launched via shell extension, protected mode is mandatory. Even the registry entry bUseWhitelistConfigFile is of no use, as via shell extension this as well is ignored.

So AcroRd32.exe runs in strict protected mode. In this mode Acrobat Reader restricts itself from

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is an old post and there is an established answer but I have found another solution that solved it for me whereas the previous solutions (creating folders under Local\Adobe\Acrobat) did not.

Right-click the Adobe folder in (C:\Users\<username>\Local) and open Properties.

Go to the Security tab and click on Advanced near the bottom of the Properties window.

Under the Permissions tab in the Advanced Security Settings window, see if you see a bunch of random accounts with names consisting of long strings of random letters and numbers. (For me it appeared as "Unknown Account <random numbers>".)

If so, click Disable Inheritance near the bottom of the Advanced Security Settings window. Then delete all of the Unknown Account entries. Click Enable Inheritance and then click Apply in the bottom right. Then close out of the Security Settings and Properties windows and try to preview a PDF. For me I had to restart Explorer, once I did PDF previews began working again.

I hope this is able to help someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines