• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted" - AGAIN.

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2012 Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open a PDF file.
  2. Save it under a different name
  3. Try to delete a page

You'll get this error:

"One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted"

I've had this billions of times now and the only solution that works 100% of the time is closing and re-opening the file. This leads me to believe it's something with "locking" the file while saving, but not unlocking it after done saving.

GET THIS FIXED PLEASE because it's annoying LOADS and LOADS of people.

As evident by the 7000+ search results for the exact phrase "One or more pages are in use and could not be deleted".

And that's just the part of the userbase that actually reports the problem.

There are several topics about this issue, some marked as "solved" erroneously.

Note, I'm a paying customer, use Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/Fireworks and Bridge during my daily work, and have had this issue for months and months across several different computers (two different workplaces, and at home) and have ran into this time and again, when all I want to do is cut a PDF into several smaller PDFs.

Closing and re-opening your program because you're unable to fix this issue is NOT ACCEPTABLE. It's THE WORST kind of user experience, as this issue is the ONLY reason I use Acrobat at all, and it can't even do that.

Cheers,

- Dirk

Ps.: Sorry, I'm very frustrated running into this time and again, and then having to wade through thick mud (your site is a UX nightmare) to report this issue, which has been report oodles of times on this board before.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

For me - using Acrobat Pro X on Windows 7 - this problem went away when I updated Acrobat Pro to the latest release (Help > Check for Updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 107 Replies 107
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the delete option via the 'Organise Pages" menu on the right hand side. Going in from the left-hand shortcut pane threw-up the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Acrobat 4 (?) or so, when I did first had Acrobat, I did not once see that message.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I've had this issue, plus not being able to print within last month or two.

Feels like somthing is broken with Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I've had this issue, plus not being able to print within last month or two.

Feels like somthing is broken with Acrobat.

By @GPGW

Sorry you misread. I did not ever see that. In my whole carear using Acrobat I only once had troubles with Acrobat on one of my 3 computers, and running AcroClean solved that issue. And I'm using Acrobat since Acrobat 4 or earlier. 

I did not misuse Acrobat, however, for tasks that it was not foreseen. 

The printing issue on Mac computers was caused by an OS upgrade that did some introduce either incompatibilities or bugs.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw, wanted to say dropping it on the desktop on my Mac did work! Still a hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I had to drop it on my desktop for it to work. 09/02/2022. Such a pain to do that but thank you all for this thread, it helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropping it on the desktop doesn't work for me. Mac here. I mean.... shouldn't batch delete be a basic option? Come on Adobe, get with the program. I pay monthly for Acrobat Pro (version is up to date with "coninous release"). Not sure what the problem is but I ended up extracting the pages (select "delete" when extracting) and that cut the time commitment down a bit. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christopher -- it is terribly frustrating. It only worked for one of my test files. The work files I NEED it to work for do not work and I get the same error. Man, I was reeeeeally hopeful the desktop thing was going to be a bandaid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Thank you!! So much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.  I get this problem too.  And I'm posting in April of 2015, so I see this problem has existed a long time.  Acrobat "Pro" (ha ha) is full of stupid, annoying problems.  And the interface is clunky.  I'm going use PDF Split and Merge to remove the page I'm struggling with.  Ridiculous that Adobe Acrobat Pro cannot remove one page from a PDF file.  I am NEVER upgrading this product.  I am done with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

The issue is not reproducible at my end. Could you please specify the version of Acrobat you are using and your operating system?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 11.0.10 on Windows 8.1 x64.

The problem is intermittent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried on the configuration that you have mentioned but I am not able to see the issue. Is there any other operation that you perform in that session of Acrobat when you see this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I loaded a two page document, optimized it, redacted part of the first page, attempted to delete page 2 of 2, was not able to. Saved it and used PDF Split and Merge Basic to remove the unwanted page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just going to add my name to this list.  Pro 10.1.13, Windows 7. 

I print this document from a web browser, open the file (from a network drive) and I get the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to reproduce the issue. It happens when you try to delete pages after applying a redaction to the document. I'm using Acrobat Pro DC. I've attached pictures of the version for both my OS and for Acrobat. Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 4.42.03 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-06-05 at 4.42.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a fix on the Mac. I open up the file in Preview, and export as PDF. Then, I can open the exported PDF back into Acrobat, and delete pages like normal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked but, let's face it, this is not a solution...it's a work-around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to work to save the redacted version, then move it to the desktop, then reopen it. I don't expect that the desktop is magic, but it seems to work unless you have it backed up in (e.g.) Dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me - using Acrobat Pro X on Windows 7 - this problem went away when I updated Acrobat Pro to the latest release (Help > Check for Updates).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's great that you are not seeing the problem anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still seeing the problem and when i click on check for updates, it says no updates available.. is this a bug or is this fixable? I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time it's happened to me.  Acrobat 10.1.14.11.  Mac OSX Yosemite.  Occured after I saved the file.  Closing file did not work.  Had to close Acrobat before being able to delete again.  But upon saving the file again, it stopped working again.  Had to reopen Acrobat a second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines