• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Proximity" option not available on searches in Acrobat DC

Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "proximity" option is grayed out (and it is the only option that is grayed out) on searched in Acrobat Pro DC. Is this a bug that is going to be fixed?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

You can set Preferences > Search > Range Of Words For Proximity Searches It limits the search results to those in which the number of words between the search terms isn’t greater than the number you specify. The following preference accepts a range from 1 to 10,000. I hope this help. -Bhavna

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you search a folder of documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am searching multiple documents indexed in a PDX file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option for "Proximity" is available only for a search of multiple documents or index definition files, and when "Match All Of The Words" is selected. Read more -https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/searching-pdfs.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has started to work. Thanks. Now we need to control the "pr0ximity." It will select words that are 3 pages apart, which is not what I need. Any ideas on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a mode advanced proximity search tool, check out this script I've developed: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat/Reader - Advanced Proximity Search

It lets you search a single file, specify the proximity distance and even connect the found terms!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set Preferences > Search > Range Of Words For Proximity Searches It limits the search results to those in which the number of words between the search terms isn’t greater than the number you specify. The following preference accepts a range from 1 to 10,000. I hope this help. -Bhavna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly the information I needed. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Too bad it's not more intuitive. I would have never thought of searching from outside a document, but the clunky interface forces you to. So now I just keep a "Proximity" folder, drag a PDF of my 3,000 page business journal (which I have to convert from MS Word each time) and tell Acrobat to go search this document. Plus, I have to set the proximity distance in Preferences (I'm using Mac). But you have solved my problem! And I thank you! I wonder why Microsoft won't add this feature. MILLIONS of people have large Word documents and need to do proximity searches to avoid getting thousands of unwanted hits on a search!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines