• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reader and Acrobat on same PC

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to install both Acrobat and Reader on same PC.

How can I do this?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. You will only be able to have both in the 32-bit version, I'm sure. Completely uninstall the 64-bit app(s) and start again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....you shouldn't install it unless you need to check that certain features of your forms ...

Or if the computer is a shared hot desk used by both licensed Acrobat users as well as users who have no license and need to use Reader. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 64-bit unified installer is available - it installs both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would like the ability to keep reader and pro on the same machine.  I'm permitted to have 2 concurrent active devices with my Creative Cloud account, but have several machines that I might ocassionally use.  Therefore I have CC installed but inactive on most of my devices.  On these they have Acrobat Pro isntalled, but any time I try to read a PDF i'm forced to go through my enterpise login process, then deactivate one of my 2 active machines.  I never go through all that, so i eventually just manually open the pdf in Edge.  This is incredibly annoying. 

If Acrobat is installed but CC is not signed in, Acrobat Pro should just function as Reader.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The 64-bit application is a unified application for Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC. If you have installed Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit and you purchase an Acrobat DC subscription, the Acrobat Reader DC 64-bit application will upgrade to become a fully functional Acrobat DC 64-bit application. 

For more information please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/about-acrobat-reader-dc-migration-to-64-bit.html

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amal. 

Many people are reporting issues with the application not switching back to Reader once their Acrobat subscription has ended, though. What's the proper procedure for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67

Post subscription expiry, Acrobat moves to reduce mode (login is mandatory) and all free functionality works. 

Please let us know if users are facing any issues in reading PDFs or using free functionality.   

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I launch Adobe Acrrobat Pro DC (64-bit) I get the error "You've reached your device activation limit" and the prompt to sign out of one of my existing devices, otherwise my only choice is to "Quit Acrobat DC".  I am not seeing any behaviour where it is functioning as Reader, and in fact I see no way to view PDFs using Acrobat without going through that process to sign out of my other devices and sign in to this machine.

I'd like to be able to set Acrobat Reader as my default PDF application, and only launch Acrobat Pro (and therefore be forced to go through the device activation process) when I specifically need Pro features (which is very infrequently.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is no longer possible. They are the same application now, in effect.

When you need the Pro features log in to your account. When you don't need them, log out (although I don't see the advantage of doing that over just staying logged in all the time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But unfortunately logging out of Acrobat DC leaves me with no functionality.  I can't view PDF's when it is logged out, I only have the ability to sign in by deactivating another device, or quit. 

I have 3+ computers, and opening PDF's on all of them is a very common everyday task.  Using full Creative Cloud apps such as Photoshop/Premier/etc on them is not a common everyday task for me.  Having my ability to read PDF's with an Adobe product being married to my Creative Cloud's login state is frustrating.  

What I've done at this point is completely uninstall Acrobat Pro DC, and installed only Acrobat Reader.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this by downloaded another free PDF reader like pdf24 Creator with excellent online support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also consider using Acrobat Reader but keep your subscription for when you need to use basic editing  features.

If you only need some of Acrobat's editing functionalities, such rotating pages, adding pages, editing content, importing, exporting, converting or merging  files, commenr, fill and sign, for example, then you can use your subscription with Adobe online services.

You may also use a free AdobeID ussr account with some limited features or restrictions.

All you need is to be online and a web browser (such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge browser).

Conveniently, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox are not dependent of a particular operating system either;  works with AndroidOS and iOS mobile devices, Linux desktop operating system distributions, Apple macOS or Microsoft Windows operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So correct me if I'm wrong but what we're saying is that for all the clients out there who have 95% of users needing Reader and occasional use of Pro, we can't have both installed with reader as default and then users select to open in Pro when they need to edit something?  Instead we need to use 3rd party readers or 32bit adobe reader and 64bit acrobat pro?  This is such a headache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, it seems like a headache.

I was trying to offer a work around to Sirvin in regards of this issue.

That response didn't  help from taking a deeper look at your feedback.

I should've said something more along the lines of  Acrobat Pro  licensing options.

However, a great amount of similar discusions in these forums have made the community aware that, sometimes, having Acrobat Pro DC and Acrobat Reader DC installed in parallel is the cause for other many issues and erratic software behavior.

Based on those discussions, I  learned to never install Acrobat through the Creative Cloud (CC) desktop app, for example, nor the regular links offered through the main download page or through the AdobeID account.

You may choose to use the Acrobat Reader offline installer instead:

NOTE:

Be aware on that page (at the bottom) that Adobe Reader is available for distribution beyond single-user installation and can be deployed with a volume license.

In addition, if I don't need other Adobe apps to collaborate or interact with Acrobat, I just disable the CC desktop app.

If it helps in any way with this topic, the main migration initiative from 32bit to 64 bit are mentioned in the following links:

To reiterate what Amal and Try67 already said,  if you already have Adobe Reader 32 bit version it will be automatically upgraded to 64 bit.

And if you already have Reader installed with an Acrobat Pro paid subscription, the 64 bit migration is now a unified version of both Reader and Acrobat.

If you don't want that, you can disable such upgrade as described in the link above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for the info.  Maybe it's just filtering at work but I get 403 forbidden from that enterprise link?
So far I don't see a solution for devices where users want to test in reader while designing in pro, or where some users have a pro licence and others don't.  I should imagine this covers a vast amount of acrobat users?
Since 32bit upgrades to 64bit and 64bit is integrated, it seems there is no way to even split it like that anymore?
Yesterday I tried to install pro for someone who had reader, but even after it installed it still showed reader in the title bar.  I had to remove it all and install pro from the CC app and then it did indeed install pro and said pro in the toolbar - luckily he had no desire for normal reader, but others will and right now it seems like the acrobat town is on fire and adobe are just admiring a new paint job they gave the town hall  😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesnt SEEM like a headache. it IS a major migraine!  I attempted multiple times to "deactivate" the upgrades. that was an epic waste of time and i still have no functionality unless i log in for pro, which i have no need for and dont want to have to log out of one of the other devices to do this either, just to have to redo it all again tomorrow on the other computer. Listen to the customers and give them BASIC FUNCTIONALITY no matter what program is installed on the computer.

Whoever suggested and whoever agreed that this migration was a good idea, should be fired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tiffany29313582fkev ,

Just for clarification I am an Adobe customer who happens to listen and help other Adobe Acrobat users through voluntary contributions.

You may have a greater chance to voice your observations directly to Adobe using the link below:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is one of the most infuriating Downgrades adobe has done to us yet. There is ZERO logical reason for us to not be able to simply read a pdf without having to log into anything. On top of the "2 device limit" which is absurd, like you said most of the pro tools are rarely needed. Either they think this will make them more money or they are just completely ignorant to the needs of its consumers. As someone indicated below, they quite obviously DO NOT CARE. i hope every pen they try to use runs out of ink after 4 letters for the rest of their lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is terrible. I use Acrobat Reader for in-class tests at University, I have 600 students. My system provides the test paper over the network and the student answers questions and submits the solution by pressing a button on the PDF. This is done with PDF Javascript, and is not supported by any third party browser (or I would be elsewhere by now). The PCs on which students do their work are owned by the University and Adobe Creative suite is installed on them. So we are paying customers.

I have been informed by my technician that in the coming academic year students will have to log in to Adobe before viewing their test paper. ONLY TO USE A FREE READER or the equivalent functionality from a pro version. This is SO UNFAIR! Totally screws up nice automation that we have developed over years, test papers appear all by themselves etc. I am VERY disappointed. There is no technical reason why a free reader can't be used on the same machine as the full suite. So why did Adobe discontinue the functionality that was available for years?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alex302425680w2z ,

These are all good points and highly relevant.

You should use the Adobe User Voice platform to request features.

See the Adobe Help Center link below:

You'll get a better chance to route these concerns directly to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe!!! Allow users to switch to standard Adobe Reader when they sign out or switch to a non-subscription account. Don’t just close the program or force them to try sign up for a free trial/7 days of Pro. I already pay for Acrobat Pro/Creative Cloud. It’s now very frustrating testing fillable forms for end users or really anything that you expect users to be running standard Reader. We used to be able to run Reader and Pro as standalone apps but with them being one and the same now; I can't change over to stander Reader or back into Pro without uninstalling and reinstalling. This is tremendous loss of productivity and revenue. I'm not sure you all understand the impact this is having for creatives and developers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! I build forms out for the organization and need to check against what others who only have Adobe Reader can and can't do... I'm no longer able to do this if I can't easily toggle back and forth between reader and pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines