Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goal is very simple: to make this

2.PNG

become this

1.PNG?

 I made this by using 'Enhance Scans' option, and then 'Camera Image', but its border are troublesome and I can't understand:

3.PNG

how to make it to fit the whole page for all? (manually adjusting won't be exact)

And, is there a way to do this for multiple pages since the book is over 800 pages?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @David Sirius ,

Adobe Acrobat is a PDF editing software not an image manipulation program. Your goal may be simple, but when it comes to all the PDF elements that takes place in a PDF document, you'll soon learn that understanding what a scan image is is not that simple at all.

For starters, a scanned image may appear to be readable to the human eye, but to the programs that are handling this particular aspect in a PDF document involves numerous layers of embedded content.

That said, you may be able to partially do some professional quality editing using other tools, like the Print Production tool => "Preflight,but it is quite advanced and cumbersome to master if you're new to PDF content creation and print production.

Scan & OCR, on the other hand, will attempt to recognize text and make text and images searcheable only, and in the process of working around scanned images it may (and will) break the static content that is produced as you continue to perform further editings in that document.

for instance, to handle the aspects of background removal, I would recommend to employ Adobe Express mobile app or the online service to remove the undesired background from all of the desired images in bulk before you import them to your final PDF document.

See here: https://www.adobe.com/express/

The free version allows you perform numerous image editing and enhancements, such as cropping and transparent background. It is extremely easy to remove backgrounds from an image file. I prefer the mobile app since it is a lot quicker and your content is easily accessible accross Creative Cloud programs with the Adobe Creative Cloud.

See all available features (free!):

aexpress.png

Overall, yes the goal is simple since this type of work can be achieved just using the Edit Text or Edit PDF tools.

However, to work around how to fit that scanned content into a desired height and width page dimesnions, you may need to combine in your workflow additional steps with "Print to PDF". This particular step will allow you to print the edited content to a specific page format.

Nevertheless, these are not trivial tasks, specially if you are trying to edit an entire book with your current method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok. I'll try it in Express. You see, many valuable documents are now in PDF which was created by Adobe. Despite there are so many pages, I still think they should make it better. By the way, I've used preflight but it's odd, especially there are something like staff and notes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Preflight is usually a tool that most Adobe Illustrator gurus seem to be highly familiarized and comfortable with.

But in this case it is not necessary.

I tested with one of your screenshots and I was able to separate the background image from  the text content very easily just using the Edit PDF tool and Recognize text from the OCR & Scan tool.

But doing that manually one by one is going be tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that Acrobat cannot scan. What it does is to use some software called Twain that lets it link to your scanner's software. I wrote the following a number of years ago that directly focuses on the issue you're concerned with. I hope it helps you.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/scanning-clean-searchable-pdfs/td-p/4785435 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@gary_sc 

Thank you very much for that info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines