• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove password on PDF which I set using the online free tool (Adobe.com)

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I set a password for a document using the free online tool (on the Adobe.com site). Although I tested it at the time to ensure it opened again OK for some reason it doesn't seem to work now (goodness knows what I did!). So I need to remove the password. I only have my iPhone with me and I'm away at the moment and need to get the documents to someone. Is there any way of being able to remove the password? Presumably Adobe can verify I'm the document owner so I can be allowed to remove the password??

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see this option on Document Cloud. Can you explain exactly how you did it?

If you were able to apply a security policy through DC's web interface then it should be possible to remove it, too, assuming you know the password. "Ownership" has nothing to do with it, by the way. If you know the password then you can remove the security policy, whether or not you own it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I did it here: https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/acrobat/protect-pdf?x_api_client_id=adobe_com&x_api_client_loca...

The password I set doesn't open the document now I'm afraid - so no, I can't open it to remove it. I sent the document to someone else but neither of us can open it using the password I used and I don't now have access to the unprotected version as I'm away from my laptop...

I can login to my Adobe account OK and I can see the protected document in the Acrobat app on my iPhone but I can't see how to open and remove the password anywhere (without the original password working). I hope that makes sense! Any help appreciated. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it doesn't seem it's able to remove an existing password. Odd...

Do you have no copies of the file before you applied the security policy? If not, you will have to use Adobe Acrobat on a normal computer (ie. not a mobile device) to remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat Reader on iOS you can't remove the open password.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is a taboo subject here.

Search Google and you will find plenty of answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines