• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rename an open PDF in Acrobat?

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often receive PDF files that I want to rename once I have looked at the content more closely.

How do I just rename an open file in Acrobat (rather than Save As, or closing the file and going into the OS file manager to do it?)

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Acrobat can't rename files. Use your file manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Not only can you not rename files INSIDE Acrobat, you cannot rename a file at all, in Windows, while the file is open. Acrobat is a perfectly normal app in this regard.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sumatra PDF is obviously not loading the file the same way as Adobe Acrobat and other typical Windows applications. Sumatra PDF has the Rename function, but you can also rename the file in Windows File Explorer while the file is open in Sumatra PDF.

By @JKG123

If my memory is correct, you could do that under UNIX, as the file name is just a pointer to the i-node, which is a structure holding the file. That allowed UNIX systems to implement hard links (many filenames point to the same physical file). But UNIX also never imposed file locking on the OS level, which let it to the application to ensure that not two programs modify the same file at the same time. Windows of today has implemented some UNIX concepts, and macOS is based on a UNIX kernel.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This a nightmare! I dont get why such sophisticated tool cannot do such a simple and absolutly necessary action. Will try another app now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First If you click on the left side panel to expand it, you'll see the Page Thumbnails option. Should be the first one.

Then right click the page you want to rename, select Page Labels...

And then in the popup window you'll see an area called "Prefix" - you can change the name there and then press ok

That should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't change the name of the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the tree on the left highlight <Your Files> Then tick the box for the one you want, the menue on the right will show <rename> option click that and it will open a panel to edit the name. Click the rename button once you do that it will be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat does you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC free version 2022.001.20169 64bit.

On Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question was about Adobe Acrobat, not Reader.

Where does you see the tree in Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok sorry I don't use that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a flaw of Acrobat. PDF XChange will allow this feature to rename the file while it is open and is one of many reasons why I perfer it over Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does the freaking free Sumatra PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I use SumatraPDF by default. It is light weight and really fast, highlights stuff searched for incrementally, etc.
Acrobat I use to create PDF, make them searchable, etc.

Like @bedazzler said: renaming, just hit F2. Piece of cake.

SnagIt-21102023 152045.png

I am using Acrobat Pro 2020, likely newer versions have more features.

SumatraPDF can close a number of open files at once, using good old Pro 2020 I should close them one by one.

As said: for creating it is Acrobat of course, but for viewing, handling, whatever, it is SumatraPDF for me.

SnagIt-21102023 153412.png

SnagIt-21102023 154547.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really like to see this happen; is there a feature request we can vote for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines