Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ROSNETTA MODE ON MACBOOK PRO ?

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HOW TO RUN  NATIVE OS ACCESS

OR ROSNETTA MODE ON MACBOOK PRO FOR SCANNER SUPPORT ?

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what Rosetta is but I have no idea what you mean. Please explain your problem. Use links or screenshots if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is sending message that enable native os mode when a scanner is being tried. Upon  seeing native os mode , checking it crashes with message that try using the acrobatb in rosetta mode. Thats why request you to please list out the steps how to try acrobat in rosetta mode . Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2023 Apr 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, if you'll please stop shouting, I'll be glad to provide some details for you. [You do know that typing in all caps is the same as shouting?]

First off, Acrobat has no ability to scan. Yes, you can see scanning as an option, but that is done through software connections. To make matters worse on the Mac, scanning is done via Apple's "Image Capture" application, the worst piece of scanning software I've ever seen. Image Capture's one benefit is that it can run most scanners, but it does it through its own interface—which is a bad interface.

On PCs, it's a bit better as they can use TWAIN technology that makes the link from one software package to another. In this case, it can link Acrobat to Canon, Epson, and other scanner's native software. However, back when Steve Jobs was still running Apple, he got rid of access to TWAIN because of the security risks that it presents.

As a Mac user, what I've been doing for over 25 years is using the scanner's software, saving the files on my computer, and then converting them to PDFs. That way, if your scanner's software is still not native, you do not have to worry about crossover nativity.

Now, here's an important tip: when you scan, assuming that you wish to both convert the document into a PDF and process via OCR, scan each document in the TIF format. There are big reasons for that: (1) it's a non-lossy format meaning that it will capture and store each and every pixel from the document. JPG is a lossy format, and in documents, it can cause image degradation. (2) If you take a TIF file and drag it onto the Acrobat icon in your Dock, it will automatically convert it to a PDF, and it will automatically do the OCR process. If you drag a JPG, PNG, or GIF onto Acrobat, it will convert it to PDF, but then the process stops. If you also want to run OCR, that will require an extra step on your part.

BTW, a full-page TIF document can easily be 8 MBs of storage. However, if the document is just text, it will be about 80-120 kb after conversion, so do not be put off by the size of the original scanned documents. Once converted and the PDF is saved, you can toss them.

Oh, one more tip: As you save each page of a document to be processed, the Mac OS will name them "document.tif," document (2).tif," etc. However, this means that the first page will be processed to be the last page in a multi-page PDF. You can either simply move the last page to the first in Acrobat or, after all the scanning is done, add "(1)" to the end of the first scanned page. I do whatever the day tells me to do. What's important is that you know that this happens.

However, if not now, when? I suggest you go to your scanner's website and see if there are any updates to the software. Apple traditionally keeps Rosetta available for only (about) three versions of OS updates and then drops it. We are approaching that soon. So, if you wish to use the same scanner and that scanner's software, and they are not going to update the software to run on the current OS, you may be forced to keep a computer dedicated to that scanner or not do any more updates to your main computer. 

BTW, here's how to download and install Rosetta for your Mac: https://www.macworld.com/article/338843/how-to-force-a-native-m1-mac-app-to-run-as-an-intel-app-inst...

And, here's an article I wrote a number of years ago on how to get the best quality scan for documents. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-community-professionals/scanning-clean-searchable-pdfs/m-p/4785...

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't typed in caps lock on. I am not shouting unlike u sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't typed in caps lock on apart from the main question which happened to be in Caps without any intended shouting as alleged. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough but I did take the time to provide you extensive information on your issue. And not even a partial thank you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for ur effort sir. I do respect ur age sir. However ur allegation was infact perturbing. However I am not going to read what u have written sir. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore previous one. It's auto correct perhaps . I wrote I am now going to read , however it went not going to read..   ignore it please. Allow me some time to go through. Thank you again sir. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir than you for your response. Let me be more specific.  I am lawyer and I need pdf through  scanning of documents as important. Processing of pdf of scanned cases om adobe is crucial requirement. My automatic  document  scanner has not been provided update for mac os ventura by brother and Mac gives error message to me to ask for updated software from.brother which is not coming as per my recent conversation with the Brother Tech support.  Adobe acrobat pro has on M1 does show the error Twain incompatible.  I am downloading Rosetta. Will update....therafterafter ...thanks sir

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In short the conclusion is that acrobat pro in rosetta mode works and hangs both with more hand and crash in case wen used  with twain driver. Switched it back to normal mode, it doest not works with Twain . Moreover it generally hangs on mac os ventura wen sacnning function is used. Not worthwhile for scanning on macbbok. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As stated, the Mac does not use TWAIN. The Mac uses Image Capture, which sucks and will not give you good-quality scans.

If you are hanging while scanning using your scanner's software, that's not Adobe's fault. Please verify that you are using the latest version of your scanning software that is intended to be matched with your OS version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines