• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save.

New Here ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported. Instead, choose File > Save." I can usually change a PDF page size from 13x7.5 to 8.5x11 using the Save as PDF feature from the print option. Since Adobe has taken away this feature, is there a different way to convert PDF page sizes to a different size in Adobe? As an example, Legal size to Letter size. Thank you

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion successfully moved from General discussions - features, feedback, training, documentation etc. to Acrobat General Troubleshooting

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this helps no one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change page sizes with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe did not "take away" this feature. It might simply be disabled for this specific file.

And you didn't even mention what application you're using (exact version number please), and on what OS...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe did not "take away" this feature, Apple locked down its PDF Services (which can produce low-end PDFs 1.4 only) so that no other virtual print driver can be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why? How do I flatten a pdf to remove all forms (make them non-editable) and make it openable with all pdf viewers now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can flatten a form using a script, by executing this code:

this.flattenPages();

There are better ways of doing it, though, such as digitally signing the file, which doesn't remove the fields but does lock them and allows you to know if their values have been edited later on (because it will invalidate the signature).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! How do I run such a script?

The other option of digitally signing the file is worse and the opposite of what I want, since that will make it even more difficult to open the file in 3rd party pdf readers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's true, but OK...

You can run it from the Console window, a button you add to the file, or an Action.

Note that this code won't work in Reader, though, only in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All correct PDF viewers can display signed documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, right. I only have Reader, that explains why I couldn't find it. Do I need to pay for Acrobat to flatten the file and reduce it to a low-end pdf 1.4 or something similar that can be opened by all pdf viewers, including browsers, etc?

The file currently gives this message when I try to open it in a different pdf reader:

Please wait...

If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document.

You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.

For more assistance with Adobe Reader visit http://www.adobe.com/go/acrreader.

Windows is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. Mac is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the United States and other countries. Linux is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the file created with Adobe Acrobat or Livecycle Designer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how it was created. It is a form from a government website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at Description of the Document Properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Application: Designer 6.3

PDF Producer: Adobe Experience Manager forms PDF forms
PDF Version: 1.7

The Document Security tab says:
Security Method: No Security

Printing: Allowed
Document Assembly: Not Allowed
Content Copying: Allowed
Content Copying for Accessability: Allowed
Page Extraction: Not Allowed
Commenting: Not Allowed
Filling of form fields: Allowed
Signing: Allowed
Creation of Template Pages: Not Allowed

Could this be related to the problem? Is there some DRM crap in the pdf, so I would have to ask the government agency to remove it if I want it to be usable? Or are the restrictions automatic from it being a PDF with forms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most web browsers doesn't support XFA forms created with Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's exactly my point. I want to get rid of the forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't DRM. It is a type of form which is designed and made to work ONLY in Acrobat or Reader on Mac or Windows, nowhere else. There isn't a fix, because it isn't broken. Also, these forms are designed NOT to be flattened. You might complain to the govermnment about the choices they made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I don't get is why "... so that no other virtual print driver can be used." is a problem? Why can't I just use Apple's virtual print driver to produce a low-end pdf that can be opened in any reader? It works in every single other program so it seems like Adobe put in that restriction on purpose.

And yes "made to work ONLY in Acrobat" and "these forms are designed NOT to be flattened" means it's DRM (as in Digital Restrictions Management). It intentionally prevents me from doing things I want to do with it.

But sorry for venting here, it's not your fault that these restrictions were created, you're just working as tech support. I guess I'll have to complain to the agency for using that format. Is there an alternative kind of pdf forms that is more open and works outside Adobe's pdf readers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there an alternative kind of pdf forms that is more open and works outside Adobe's pdf readers? "

Yes, forms created with Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DRM isn't "Digital Restrictions Management". It's "Digital Rights Management", and here lies the difference. This is not a form of protection, it's just a very specific file format that is proprietary to Adobe. It's actually not a PDF file at all, despite the name.

And the reason there aren't virtual printers on Mac computers is that Apple does not allow them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please follow instruction

Download Google Chorme

Right Click Open With

Open with Google Chorme

Print

Save as PDF

It will save Your file.

Enjoyyyyyyy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Safari works, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines