Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Screen goes black when adding signature

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Reader DC and I would like to digitally sign a document. When I try to digitally sign it, the screen goes black, nothing happens and I have to press Esc to return to the document.

1576308_pastedImage_0.png

This fix didn't work

Launch Reader > Edit > Preferences > Signatures .

Under Creation & Appearance > click More > uncheck use modern user interface for signing....

Relaunch Reader and check.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jjorgensen,

we are sorry for the trouble. As described the screen goes black when you try to sign the PDF.

Please try the following steps and see if that helps:

If it still doesn't Work, launch Reader>Edit>Preferences> Security Enhanced: "Turn off of the protected " and  "Uncheck: Enable protected mode at startup". This step is only for testing purpose. If this fixes your issue enable the feature again. You may visit this: Protected Mode troubleshooting | Adobe Reader

Also, you may try to disable your security software for temporarily for some time and check. 

If it still doesn't work, you may try to sign the documents online at document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/)

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks 

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work for me either. Is there any remedy? How can Adobe charge for this product?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps provided earlier?

Please try to sign out of the application > reboot the computer once and re-login to the application using the same Adobe ID and check if that helps.

Also make sure that you have the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat DC (21.01.20142) installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once and check.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem too - latest MacOS, latest Adobe. But the pain of changing signatures is getting unbearable. You need to make this easier. I don't just sign on behalf of me, I have to sign on behalf of an aged parent and minor children and each signature change is fraught with issues. You should make this easier - really! 

I'm not sitting with the Black Screen and done everything you suggested and apart from an uninstall, reinstall (WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO!!!) I am now stuck, again.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please try following troubleshooting steps:

Launch Acrobat/Reader > Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > Signatures  > Under Creation & Appearance > click More > uncheck use modern user interface for signing and relaunch the application and check.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI, I had the same problem. Trying to add a signature in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC leads to a black screen.

1. Version shows as "no updates available" (21.005.20048).
  2. I "repaired" the installation ... no improvement.
  3. I added the Adobe folder as an antivirus (Windows Defender) exception ... no improvement.
  4. I restarted the app ... no improvement.
  5. I uninstalled and reinstalled and tried it all again ... no improvement.
  6. If I turn off "use modern interface" I no longer see the option to add a signature (using touch screen or image), so I can't sign it (documents need my signature, not just me typing a digitally signed name).
  7. I gave up, signed it without digital signing in free Adobe Reader (works fine), waited a while, retried with the same document in Pro DC as a prelude to writing a bug report here ... the modern interface had turned itself back on and it all worked fine, signed.

No idea how or why, but it's working now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

We are happy to hear that it started working for you again.

Feel free to contact us for any assistance required in the future.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines