Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Script too long

Participant ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

Over the past few years you have all been very helpful and again im after some assistance/advice.

Is there anyway to  condense the attached script as when i try and add it to my selection properties in the custom calculation script it errors and says its too long

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

There are a few different ways the script can be reduced, such as Bernd's suggestion. 

However, my prefered solution would be to make a design change to the form.  Right now the script is handling each field individually, which is inefficient for so many fields. It appears the fields are already divided into functional groups , so one solution is to use group naming. For example, "Group1.fieldname", where "Group1" is the group name. This type of naming allows all fields in the group to be acce

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E.g. you can split the script in several document level functions and use this functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bernd.
This will work as an intrim fix until i can understand groups more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few different ways the script can be reduced, such as Bernd's suggestion. 

However, my prefered solution would be to make a design change to the form.  Right now the script is handling each field individually, which is inefficient for so many fields. It appears the fields are already divided into functional groups , so one solution is to use group naming. For example, "Group1.fieldname", where "Group1" is the group name. This type of naming allows all fields in the group to be accessed, and operated on, with a single line of code.

For example:  this.resetForm("Group1");  - Resets all fields in the group.    

Or: this.getField("Group1").display = display.hidden;  - hides all fields in the group

It's a lot of work to change the field names, but it will massively simplify handling the fields in a script. 

BTW:  the problem with the code being too long isn't a limitation in the form field script. It's a limitation of the script editor. Download NotePad++ and use it as the script editor, then there won't be a problem with the script length. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thom,
How would i add the group designation to the code.
This solution would be extremly helpful in other areas of my form and hopefully speed up the form itself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need to rename the fields to start with the group name, followed by a period.

For example:

Group1.FirstName

Group1.LastName

Group1.DOB

Then you could show/hide all three fields using the code Thom provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello try67,

Sorry, I assume this then takes place in the Text Field Properties as below

px1.jpg

becomes

px2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect,
Thank you very much for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines