Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

shared file with colleagues cannot be modified

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have shared a adobe form with colleagues. They are unable to change or edit getting "Shared files can't be modified. Create a copy and make changes to your copy." They only can comment. 

We are using Acrobat DC, security set to "No Security".

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mizanur

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

I believe uploading the file to the Adobe cloud is a requirement to be able to share it, so this should address the mapped drive concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mizanur28582880yoee ,

Can you provide specific details on how this file is shared and where exactly is it saving to please.

Are your colleagues also using Acrobat Pro DC with a paid subscription or another PDF editor/reader software?

In any case, if your colleagues have an Adobe ID, and they are also using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, they just need to save a copy with a different name to a local folder in their desktop computer.

It would be helpful if you can also clarify how did you shared this file:

• "Send for Shared Comments"
  • "Share a link to this file"
  • "Distribute" (email or internal server?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how saving a copy to the local computer is collaborative editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dmitry5FA0 ,

Thank you for updating this thread, which is almost a year old now.

The main discussion is about troubleshooting shared files that can't be modified. 

The OP never replied back to my inquiry which would've allow to collect important feedback on how they were sharing their PDFs.

According to the OP the files were shared, so for that part they are collaborating successfully.

The problem seems to be a bug (or a feature) that is directly related to Acrobat Reader's  security.

Specifically, it conflicts when the files that are shared on a secured  networked environment won't allow editing, keeping the PDF as a read-only document when it is opened and viewed in Acrobat.

And if I understood correctly, Acrobat PDFs that are shared over a network (and edited on real-time by more than two users at the same time) it triggers the issue.

Many threads in these forums have brought up this topic many times before.

Some users have been able to discover their own fix and other users who have resorted to try those same fixes it doesn't work for them.

So it looks like it may be a platform dependent problem (i.e. OS version, Group Policies, fully qualified domain syntax for directory paths, directory path file name conventions, or lack of elevating the trust of the shared location at the  active directory level on different domains ).

The only way that seems to work is for the users to manually save a copy locally to their desktop, perform the desired edits on it , and upload the edited PDF file back to wherever the shared file location is at on that network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below is a link to an old thread showing a similar discussion; someone updated the thread recently.

I am sharing that discussion here to backup my last reply:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe uploading the file to the Adobe cloud is a requirement to be able to share it, so this should address the mapped drive concerns.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2024 Jan 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although not all business workflows require that their PDFs should be shared exclusively through the Adobe Document Cloud in order to collaborate, you are absolutely correct in observing that this does address the mapped drives issues as an alternative.

This should be the correct  answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines