Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Recognition not working

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

When I try and get Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to scan a PDF so I can search for words, I get the following errors...

First

"Acrobat could not preform Text Recognition on this page because:

Unknown error"

Then immediately after I click ok, this pops up...

"Acrobat could not access the recognition service because:

Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition service.  Your installation may be corrupt.

This is probably due to either a low memory situation or an [sic] corrupt installation/  If the problem is not cleared up by shutting down other applications and/or rebooting, then please re-install Acrobat."

I've rebooted my computer (multiple times), made sure I have plenty of memory capacity, gone through the repair installation function multiple times, uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe multiple times, run Adobe Cleaner multiple times, and nothing fixes the issue.

I'm on the latest version (2019.012.20035) of Adobe Acrobat DC, have a Intel(R) Core TIM i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz processor, have 8 GB of RAM.  I am using Windows 10 Pro (1903 - the latest version, build 183623.239).  Older versions of Adobe and Windows 10 didn't work either.  I've been trying to fix this for about two months.

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

[Edited response]

Hi there 

We are sorry for the trouble. Is this a behavior with a particular file or with all the files. Please try with a different file and check. If its a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing. Upload the file on the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share the link with us.

What happens when you try to recognize text in a PDF, do you get any error message or code? Please share the screenshot of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Hi Amal, thanks. In fact I managed to get on a chat with Adobe and the solution was simple - not to reinstall but to repair Acrobat. It is now working. Typical of the usual FAQ Windows 11 does not seem to know where the repair function lurks and gives incorrect instructions. It is sitting in Settings/Apps/Installed Apps/Acrobat then you have to click the three dots and select modify which gives a repair option.

Kind regards

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get an answer?  I am having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same problem.  Does anyone have any answers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there  

We are sorry for the delay in response and the trouble caused. @iamaw and @carrolclan What is the version of the Adobe Acrobat / Reader DC and the OS you are using? To check the version of the application please use the link (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/identify-product-version.html) Make sure you have the latest version 20.006.20034 Go to Help> Check for Updates. For more information please use the link (https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html)

Is this a behavior with a particular file or with all the files. Please try with a different file and check. If its a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing. Upload the file on the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share the link with us.

If it still doesn't work, please try the following steps:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried using the cleaner tool then reinstalling acrobat to no avail. Acrobat still cannot recognize text. 

This is an important feature for me, what else can I do to restore it?

Thanks, Gordon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Edited response]

Hi there 

We are sorry for the trouble. Is this a behavior with a particular file or with all the files. Please try with a different file and check. If its a file specific issue please share the file with us for testing. Upload the file on the document cloud (https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/home/) generate the link and share the link with us.

What happens when you try to recognize text in a PDF, do you get any error message or code? Please share the screenshot of the same for better understanding. 

Additional information:  You may also refer to the steps provided in the help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/acrobat-could-access-recognition-service.html) and see if that works.

Also, you may refer to a similar discussion (https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/acrobat-standard-dc-quot-unable-to-locate-the-paper-capture-r...) and see if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem as Oz00522488 and this last approach solved the issue.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are happy to hear that.

Feel free to contact us for any assistance required in the future.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

Text recognition always worked well with Adobe. But when I recently edited a new pdf, it just shows a blue-pointed frame for scaling (screenshot attached).

No way to select or copy text.

How to solve that problem?

Thx a lot in advance

Heidi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that.

Have you started experiencing this issue recently? Please update the application to the recent version 22.3.20310 from the help menu and reboot the computer once and check.

Also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau... and see if that works for you. 

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights in Win or enable the root account in mac and try using the application there and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have just reinstalled Acrobat from Creative Cloud and it will not now run text recognition. The instructions on here do nto seem to recognize Windows 11 and assume you are some sort of tech geek. Is there some way of getting back to where I was a few days ago so I can run text recognition?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Huochemi 

What happens when you try to run the text recognition.? Do you get any error messages? If yes, please share the screenshot of the same for a better understanding.

You may also try to remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html , reboot the computer once and reinstall the application using the direct link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and see if that works. 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Amal, thanks. In fact I managed to get on a chat with Adobe and the solution was simple - not to reinstall but to repair Acrobat. It is now working. Typical of the usual FAQ Windows 11 does not seem to know where the repair function lurks and gives incorrect instructions. It is sitting in Settings/Apps/Installed Apps/Acrobat then you have to click the three dots and select modify which gives a repair option.

Kind regards

Robin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines