• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The document could not be saved. This file is too big for the current operation.

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to combine two parts of a book into one, the files are 1.69 GB and 1.82 GB. The files have 1147 pages combined. I am using Acrobat Pro XI on a Mac running 10.11.6 which has a 2.5 Ghz i5 Processor and 4 GB RAM with 23 GB of free space on the SSD HD.

I get the message "The document could not be saved. This file is too big for the current operation."

I have tried saving it to the local hard disc, a flash drive, and network attached storage after a binder has been created but get "the message." I have searched these forums but have found only similar questions so here it is again.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Hi

Sorry for the delay in response.

Would you try below steps:

In Acrobat, go to Edit>Preferences>Documents - uncheck "Save As optimizes for Fast Web View" and then Save the combined file.

Let us know if that helps.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chrisc43122774,

I assume you are using Adobe Acrobat DC? As mentioned the total file size is approximate 4Gb so there shouldn't be any problem with the space.

But some devices (network drive…) cannot handle files larger than 2 Gb, regarding of their formatting.

For testing purpose could you please try combining files which are quite smaller than the size you have currently?

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat Pro 11. Is this a problem in Acrobat DC as well? I can combine large files up to around 2 GB without problem, as well as smaller ones. The external drives handle files of much greater size on the network, as do the thumb drives. I am having similar negative results when trying to combine a 3.6 GB total file from four smaller files on an older Macbook Pro as well so all indications point to the application, not the hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for the delay in response.

Would you try below steps:

In Acrobat, go to Edit>Preferences>Documents - uncheck "Save As optimizes for Fast Web View" and then Save the combined file.

Let us know if that helps.

-Tariq Dar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Tariq Dar! That worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks a lot stuck here since a week 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac OS Monterey. Had the exact same issue with AI 2023. This worked!

Btw - what's the point of fast web view checked if you're generating a print file PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This did not solve my issue which is similar except I'm only trying to combine and save 9 pages but the scans my customer provided me were done so at 1200 dpi and are enormous. I've already sectioned all pages into groups of 5 and saved those as reduced files to eliminate the problem but even after doing that I've had no success. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process did work for me... Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It worked, great tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines